Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
The Manager, Operations Excellence oversees the management and delivery of all assigned initiatives. Responsible for successfully delivering initiative work, and establishing strong collaborative working relationships. Manages the planning, design, and implementation of improvement activities for their assigned workstream(s). Mentors business leaders and initiative owners following appropriate improvement methodology. Leader for initiatives as identified by the executive champions. Ensures timelines, business requirements, risks, budget, resources and scope are managed according to initiative objectives. Engages frontline in improvement initiatives. Manages more complex initiatives through Advisory Boards / gated approval process where applicable. Creates a positive and collaborate environment for employees to foster lean thinking and resulting actions.
This position may be located in Montreal or Toronto.
Key Functions & Accountabilities:
- In-conjunction with business leaders, develops strategies for assigned workstream to improve process performance, adoption of lean thinking and best practices.
- Mentor business initiative leader through the different stages of their initiative following an appropriate improvement approach.
- Expert in Lean methodology, drives and closes initiatives utilizing the best Continuous Improvement techniques.
- With team members, develops work plans, schedules and estimates.
- Oversee approvals through initiative life cycle (from opportunities, charter, initiative workstream activities, to post closure evaluations), and assists business leaders to address barriers to success.
- Properly identify risk and issues, implement mitigating actions to remove roadblocks. Facilitate problem-solving and decision making at the initiative level to ensure quality throughout the initiative life cycle, escalating as required.
- Ensure proper root cause identification.
- Ensures initiatives are aligned with IT and synchronized for the best outcome for the organization.
- Plan, manage, execute designated continuous improvement initiatives per approved schedule, and improvement methodology.
- Develop and manage scope, define deliverables and achieve targeted outcomes.
- Establish goals and regularly review performance to assist in a positive and accurate financial evaluation of the initiatives.
- Obtains approval from the process owners and sponsors on initiative changes, design, implementation of process improvement.
- As required by Manager, Value Stream Oversight – Operations Excellence, lead improvement initiatives to meet business goals and objectives.
- Track results on an ongoing basis, align with financial outlook and timelines. Proactively manage initiatives database and monitor improvement progress aligned to operations goals and savings/benefits expectations.
- Organize appropriate business update meetings to ensure senior management understand cross-dependencies and are kept informed of progress and outcomes.
- Conduct benchmarking, best practices and other competitor assessment studies, incorporating learnings into improvement plans where applicable. Promote leveraging opportunities to other areas and share best practices.
- Facilitate workout sessions and improvement workshops; Leads and coordinates deliverables.
- Foster the spirit of communication, collaboration and continuous improvement within the organization leveraging new or existing best practices, tools and Operations Excellence methods.
- Implement lean thinking within assigned workstream.
- Serve as change agent and engages front line in improvement initiatives.
- Provide opportunities for frontline innovation and best practice replication.
- Ensure initiatives have an effective change management /communication plan aligned to Flight Path and corporate requirements.
- Engage corporate learning and development team to design and develop learning experiences for initiatives.
- Ensure that new processes are documented and that changes are communicated.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Demonstrated capability for inspiring and developing teams for success.
Ability to cultivate strong collaborative working relationships and viewed as credible.
Effective communication skills and ability to influence and persuade others to action.
Experience driving process improvement / lean strategies across different areas and business processes.
Effective organizational skills and an aptitude for managing the pace of change.
Strong analytical skills and a passion for delivering results.
Undergraduate Degree or equivalent tenure as Lean Six Sigma Green / Black Belt.
Project management capabilities.
Lean Concepts / Value Streams / Total Productive Maintenance / Change Overs
3+ years demonstrated experience leading improvement initiatives, delivering benefits.
PC proficiency (Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Graphical and statistical applications).
Able to travel.
Conditions of Employment:
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.