Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
Reporting to: Director, Finance & Accounting International
Scope/Purpose of position:
This role is responsible for the day-to-day management, delivery and performance of the Air Canada Passenger Accounts and Accounts Payable operations for the UK and various other European locations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop, evaluate and initiate changes to the accounting systems and procedures also leading and participating in accounting projects both internally and externally
- Prepare VAT returns for various countries on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis ensuring that they are correct and that all the relevant data is included prior to submission
- Review and verify VAT returns prepared by the Coordinator for various locations before submission
- Implement and manage third-party accounting agreements for European region in relation to the external support provided for preparation of financial statements, tax returns and VAT filing
- Check and verify expense claims created in Ariba for the U.K and other European locations when needed
- Monitoring Ariba Tax Review to ensure that invoices and claims are cleared for payment in a timely manner
- Guide, counsel, develop and motivate a team of staff conducting yearly performance appraisals providing attentive leadership and direction
- Verification and auditing of all accounting systems and processes in compliance with corporate internal guidelines carrying out periodic self-audit checklists
- Ensuring continued local VAT compliance and obligations while identifying opportunities or changes to current practice including new stations
- Attend local VAT audits to assist the respective tax authorities with their reviews and questions
- Monitor and authorise all Accounting office sales reports & MDR’S following up any outstanding receivables identified in the aging report
- Negotiate and act for the company with external agencies including banks, tax authorities, credit card service providers, IATA, BSP’s etc
- Liaise with IATA, Winnipeg Revenue Protection and Headquarters with regards to default agencies using the DRS (Default Recovery Service) procedures
- Using the various banking and payment systems, verify and authorise any disbursement payments when required
- Attend quarterly IATA LCAG-P meetings representing Air Canada advising IATA on any operational accounting issues or concerns
- Carrying out interviewing for new prospective accounts department employees
- Working closely with all members of the Finance Team providing support where necessary and required
- Create, maintain and monitor departmental expense budget authorising applicable invoices
- Handling and dealing with sensitive and confidential information in the appropriate manner
- Establish and maintain good Health and Safety practices carrying out respective office workplace and risk assessments
Qualification / degree in Accounting
VAT compliance and filing experience
Proven leadership and people management skills
Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills
High level of accuracy
Ability to maintain confidentiality
Proven experience of working on own initiative
Evidence of good organizational skills
Good verbal and written skills
Computer Literate with advanced Microsoft Excel & Word
Must have the right to work in the UK without restriction
Conditions of Employment:
Candidates must be eligible to work in the country of interest, at the time any offer of employment is made and seeking any required work permits/visas or other authorizations which may be required is the sole responsibility of the candidates applying for this position.
Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Required
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.