Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
The Staff Software Engineer / Specialist, Digital Enablement will lead the translation of business strategies and requirements into specific technical solutions, applications, process designs and identify associated functional requirements. He/She plays an integral role in the development pattern definition for product or project deliveries as he/she assumes the overall responsibility for all technical aspects of solution delivery, from inception through design to implementation (including all aspects related to development, infrastructure, data and configuration management perspectives). The Staff SW Engineer / Specialist, Digital Enablement will conduct regular detailed solution and implementation analysis and provide expert judgment pertaining to highly complex technical issues including all aspects related to development, infrastructure, data and configuration management perspectives.
The position will design and oversee the development of solutions and patterns for digital applications that interface to internal and external consumers, making use of AWS, Azure and other technologies as needed. The position reflects Air Canada’s commitment to substantially improving customer and employee digital experience.
- Create detailed development patterns and reviews across relevant stakeholders to ensure alignment to the overall business needs including technology stack, solution architecture, security requirements and performance testing documents
- Analyze, document and optimize the overall development patterns by developing design principles, models, plans, internal standards, budgets, and processes aligned on industry best practices
- Participate in the selection of relevant technologies and products when solicited and actively identify products and technologies to advance the development practices and end solutions.
- Present and socialize proposed solutions to technical boards during review sessions as well as articulate and communicate options to audiences with limited expertise related to the selected technology
- Support the delivery of the solution by providing insights to the application development teams and project managers that plan and execute delivery activities
- Support implementation processes in association with internal and external development teams, participate in project-related activities and enforces guidelines and standards that production teams use to help guide their work
- Assume responsibility for the quality of the implemented solution and its adherence to technology strategies, patterns, standards, best practices, and enterprise architectural standards.
- Serve as the primary interface with architecture, and provide technical leadership to development teams, and all internal and external teams involved in the implementation process.
- Create development patterns and coding guidelines that describe and explain solutions attributes and associated benefits and maintain documentation in collaboration with delivery teams.
- Support the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement of solution management methodologies, including obtaining feedback after the solution has been implemented
- Build standard patterns for different business use cases and projects.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Information Technology, Engineering). An advanced degree in a related area, an asset.
Minimum of 10 years of IT experience, of which minimum 5 as a solution Experience working with integrated Enterprise systems
Ability to work across multiple technical teams to set direction and priority
Ability to work independently and as part of a team while demonstrating initiative and using good business acumen
Expertise in a variety of open-source products, technologies, application and Integration frameworks.
Expertise with web mobile application environments
Experience in the layout and architecture planning for integrating multiple platform (mainframe, client-server, software packages with custom applications).
Expertise with business rules engine concepts.
Expertise in APIs, web services concepts and standards.
Expertise in JSON, XML, XML Schema, XSL, various XML standards and web services.
Experience in designing and implementing large server software with particular attention to security, scalability and high performance.
Knowledge and experience with RDBMSs (DB2, MySQL, MS SQL Server, etc.)
Experience working within multidisciplinary and collaborative environments
Team player with effective interpersonal skills
Conditions of Employment:
Candidates must be eligible to work in the country of interest, at the time any offer of employment is made and seeking any required work permits/visas or other authorizations which may be required is the sole responsibility of the candidates applying for this position.
Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Required
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.