Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
As a Data Scientist at Air Canada, you will drive the analytical scope and method for projects using Mathematics, Stats, Machine Learning and Business Understanding to derive structure and knowledge from raw data. We are looking for a data scientist that will help us discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data and help us make smarter decisions to deliver even better products and services. Your primary focus will be in applying data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis, and building high quality prediction systems integrated with our products and services.
- Accountable for the manipulation of complex and extremely varied data sets within Air Canada and external sources to solve real world problems
- Design, develop and evaluate innovative models, data science products and solutions for internal clients as well as for our data science team
- Oversee the day-to-day operations including the testing and maintenance of data science solutions
- Write highly optimized code to advance our internal Data Science Toolbox and practice
- Work in a multi-disciplinary environment with specialists in machine learning, data engineering and design and provide acquired expertise in these areas
- Ensure the optimization of data science models, including feature selection and build, using different techniques in the data science toolbox
- Accountable for the integrity of Air Canada’s data extended to third party sources
- Ensure the continued enhancement of data collection procedures, including information that is relevant for the building analytical solutions
- Accountable for the integrity of data used for analysis and modeling
- Develop automated processes for large scale data analysis
- Provide technical guidance to junior members of the team
- Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Required as of October 31st 2021
- MSc or PhD level in the field of Computer Science, Machine Learning, Applied Statistics, or Mathematics
- 5 to 9 years of experience as a data scientist or in a similar role
- Experience in statistical modelling and machine learning techniques
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as Scikit learn, XGBoost, Numpy, fbprophet, etc
- Experience with cloud machine learning tools (Azure ML, databricks), an asset
- Programming experience in at least two of the following languages: R, Python, Scala, SQL
- Experience in applying data science methods to business problems
- Experience in applying advanced analytical and statistical methods in the commercial world
- Strong presentation and communication skills, with the ability to explain complex analytical concepts to people from other fields
- Knowledge of distributed computing language such as pyspark
- Experience with data visualization tools such as plotly, seaborn, matplotlib, etc.
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Hive, Pig
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Good scripting and programming skills
- Data-oriented personality
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the country of interest, at the time any offer of employment is made and seeking any required work permits/visas or other authorizations which may be required is the sole responsibly of the candidates applying for this position.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.