Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
The role of the senior medical advisor Montreal is to evaluate the interaction between work and health through the examination of employees and provide medical leadership in our Montreal facilities. The physician helps to identify and address individual and organizational factors in the workplace in order to optimize the health of the worker, enhance productivity and ensure compliance with applicable legislation. The physician’s primary responsibilities are examining employees to determine if they can safely be at work and providing out-patient consultation, advice and referral recommendations to treating/family physician. As a Civil Aviation Medical Examiner (CAME), the physician examines the pilots and makes recommendations to Transport Canada for medical certification. While performing the CAME function, the physician acts as an agent of the Minister of Transport.
- Provide medical examinations to assist with determining if workers can safely be at work and complete required job tasks, identifying medical conditions and determining if signs and symptoms of injuries or illness may be caused or exacerbated by workplace conditions. This may include arranging appropriate diagnostic tests, treatment or other specialist referrals, and includes liaising with the family physician;
- Examine the medical fitness of pilots for issue or revalidation of Pilot and Canadian Civil Aviation Personnel Licenses and report findings to the Civil Aviation Medicine Division;
- Conduct pilot examinations in accordance with Transport Canada Canadian Aviation Regulations Standard 424 - Medical Requirements;
- Periodically participate in the development of gradual return to work or stay at work plans for workers;
- When requested, review medical cases with the program team during weekly case reviews;
- Liaise with other medical and non-medical staff in the clinic, provide occupational medicine expertise to nurses, case managers, benefits manager, etc.;
- Make notes, both as a record of assessment and for referral back to General Practitioner / Family Physician in the community for treatment;
- Supervise employee substance recovery and monitoring programs
- Maintain the confidentiality and privacy of the physician/patient relationship.
- Must have Medical Doctor (MD) degree from an accredited university
- Must have a license to practice in the province in which he/she is based, be in good standing with the provincial College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Must have training or experience in aviation medicine or occupational medicine, practical knowledge and experience of the aviation environment,
- Must be a licensed Civil Aviation Medical Examiner or be eligible for license;
- Have knowledge and skills necessary to:
- assess if there is risk of an adverse event from exposure to hazards in the workplace;
- provide evidence based clinical evaluation of injuries and illnesses that are occupationally related;
- determine if a worker can safely be at work and complete required job tasks, determine an employee's physical, cognitive and emotional fitness for work;
- provide guidance to the employee and employer when there is a need for accommodation or integration of an employee with a disability into the workplace;
- develop, evaluate, and manage medical surveillance programs for the work place;
- apply primary, secondary, and tertiary preventive methods;
- assure compliance with regulations important to occupational health including those regulations essential to pilot medical examinations, provincial workers’ compensation, accommodation of disabilities, public health, worker safety, and environmental health and safety;
- Have basic knowledge of travel medicine, communicable diseases and immunization programs;
- Possess knowledge of health education techniques and systems for maintaining medical records.
- Specialty in occupational medicine, emergency medicine or other area would be an asset
Bilingual (English and French)
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.