Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
Responsible to the, Manager, Pilot Qualification-Type, this position provides oversight in the day to day operation of training on the fleet to ensure all training programs are managed to appropriate standards.
- Manage Safety Management System (SMS) responsibilities in accordance with the Corporate Safety Management Manual (CSMM)
- Manage the activities of Flight Instructors (FI), Full Flight Simulator (FFS) Instructors, Initial Operating Training Captain’s (IOETC) and Ground School Instructors on Fleet Type ensuring their proficiency and qualifications meet required standards.
- Responsible for applying Quality Assurance principles to ensure a high standard of instruction is provided by overseeing, in coordination with the Quality assurance department, a program to conduct monitors on all fleet positions mentioned above. Each Instructor will be assessed on an annual basis in accordance with Advanced Qualification Program (AQP) Quality Assurance (QA) principles. The exercises chosen for the monitors should vary to include a sample from possible training events, Initial Pilot Training (IPT), Proficiency Validation (PV), Maneuvers Training Validation (MTV), Maneuvers Training (MT), Line Oriented Flight Training LOFT), Full Flight Simulator (FFS), Initial Operating Experience (IOE and Ground School (GS) to ensure training standards are being applied accurately and to a high standard.
- Ensure the Fleet type qualification and training programs are managed in accordance with Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR’s) and IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) Standards (as applicable),
- Ensure Fleet type training programs are implemented in a timely manner to support the introduction of new policy, rules, instructions, and procedures, and new systems and modifications.
- Work with the training department and the Manager, Pilot Qualification-Type to ensure continuous improvement, standardization between fleet types where possible and to communicate/train instructors in the adjustments as necessary.
- In consultation with the Manager, Pilot Qualification-Type to ensure fleet training manpower requirements are met.
- Manage all training events completed by fleet assigned training personnel (i.e. IOETCs, FI's, contracted Instructors).
- Support in the development of all required scripting for training events in coordination with the Training department and Manager, Pilot Qualification-Type.
- Create documents as required to update Training Processes and Procedures.
- Ensure Fleet type simulators meet required operational standard.
- Work with Manager, Pilot Qualification-Type to hire and train new training staff
- On behalf of the Vice President, Flight Operations, promote and support safe and efficient flight operations at Air Canada.
- Manage student progress through transition course from first contact after position award until release to line ops.
- Liaise as required with sim planners, Initial Operating Experience planners and Fleet Efficiency Managers to ensure efficient progress through the training program and adherence to target training footprint;
- Responsible for ensuring consistency of product and standardization of training by liaising as required with the training department and other fleet training managers;
- Responsible for management of Contract Instructors and invoice payment
- Education: University entrance minimum, university or college diploma preferred.
- Ability to communicate in both written and oral English at an advanced level.
- Formal training in HFACs and Risk Assessment should be completed within six months of appointment.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, electronic mail efficiently.
- Ability to develop PowerPoint presentations an asset
- Have or has held an Airline Transport Pilot License requirement
- At least 5 years as a qualified pilot in Part 705 Canadian Air Operator an asset
- Previous instructional experience in a flight operational environment an asset
- Comprehensive Knowledge of:
- Flight Operations Manual,
- Aircraft Operating Manual,
- Training Processes & Procedures, an asset
- Proven teamwork and administrative skills
- Working knowledge of Canadian Aviation Regulations
- Must demonstrate significant achievements in specific quality areas and/or issues; proven superior interpersonal skills, language skills, team skills, technical and leadership capabilities.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.