Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
Air Canada is seeking experienced and dynamic senior leaders to fill two positions of Director of Application Development and Maintenance as part of the overall IT transformation at Air Canada. The positions will be similar in function and in breadth of accountability but different in scope and focus. One will be accountable for all services/systems that support airline operations, and the other position will be accountable for all services/systems that support our customer-centric functions. These positions will report to Senior Director, Application Development and Maintenance.
This role leads the team and supporting partners that design, develop, test and rollout major/minor enhancements and defect fixes of more than 150 business systems (applications) in support of operational and strategic goals. This role also develops application roadmaps that address business as well as IT-specific goals such as architecture, cybersecurity, stability, efficiency and resilience. This role tracks the value delivered by applications in comparison to costs and ensures that changes that would drive greater value are factored into application evolution. This role will be a key problem solver and provide the leadership, direction and guidance related to IT solutions of the identified sub-area to the Business Partner organization and the senior business unit leadership. The role operates in a significantly complex environment and requires the ability to balance tactical day-to-day initiatives with strategic initiatives. This role involves strong people and technology leadership, and vendor integration and oversight given much of the work is executed by partners.
- Drive the strategic direction of the functional area and achieve the IT Strategic Plan
- Responsible for ensuring close coordination with all other IT groups and external partners, to ensure well integrated solutions that adhere to all applicable standards, security protocols and appropriate policies/direction.
- In collaboration with Lead, IT Strategy Planning & Performance, be responsible for prioritizing projects within a sub-area
- Responsible for coordinating with Lead, Project & Program management to support resource availability and utilization
- Select and manage the tactical performance of external partners in collaboration with the Partner Performance and Strategic Procurement teams
- Create opportunities for innovative solution implementation to drive efficiency and cost reduction for the sub-area/domain; also assist with cross-pollinating such solutions to other sub-areas
- Ensure currency of documentation for service and applications, changes, user guides and training documentation are always updated and maintained in line with the organization’s business and IT objectives and for handing over this documentation to the maintenance team
- Establishing application development and maintenance standards and SLAs for performance tracking of applications in the sub-area/domain
- Establishing application and technical support for Critical IT Systems applications in order to ensure systems in the sub-area/domain are resilient, fit for purpose and meet evolving business requirements
- Lead and oversee the execution of projects in the respective functional area
- Facilitate and champion strategic change management initiatives - gain support and mobilize resources to achieve the business objective from change
- Establish the annual operating and capital budget for all applications, partner work, licensing, team members and other associated costs for delivering on the responsibilities detailed above.
- 15+ years of experience in IT in a large company, in positions of operations, technology, vendor management, development, project execution, strategy and people leadership
- Strong understanding of relevant standards such as ITIL V3, CMMI, development methodologies such as DevOps and Waterfall, and improvement standards such as six sigma.
- ITIL and Agile Certifications are preferred
- PMP certification is a plus.
- Technology and Domain Specific Certifications are a plus
- A relevant University degree/technical certification, and/or relevant experience.
- Ability to think of the overall strategic vision of the organization and drive the organizational activities in alignment with the IT roadmap outlined for the organization
- A self starter with critical thinking, analytical approach, business acumen and decision making
- Bring a sense of urgency, customer advocacy and a drive for results
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- A team player and proven leader with excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative attitude
- Leadership of diverse teams of technology experts and vendor partners.
- Familiarity with the airline industry is an asset, and transportation/logistics background is also an asset.
Bilingual (English and French)
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.