Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, People Culture & Communications, the Director, Media Relations – Quebec & Eastern Canada will act as the official spokesperson for Air Canada within the Quebec and Eastern Canadian regions, helping to build relationships and awareness of the business. This position has primary responsibility for the design, strategic development and implementation of media relations strategy and tactical response to emerging issues on an ongoing basis to enhance and protect Air Canada’s brand and corporate reputation in social and mainstream media.
- Responsible to develop and implement a proactive media relations and public image strategy that supports the company's business plan, commercial activities and protects Air Canada’s reputation.
- Acts as corporate spokesperson on key issues involving Quebec and Eastern Canada media either personally or through direct and indirect reports.
- Establishes and nurtures productive relationships with key members of the local, national and locally based international media to generate positive visibility for Air Canada and minimize negative coverage.
- Provide CEO, executive management and other key internal customers with corporate communications and media relations support and counsel.
- Identify developing media issues, evaluate the Company’s image, position with various external sources to provide feedback and recommendations to executive management
- Responsible for developing, recommending and implementing communications strategy and positioning to emerging issues affecting the company’s reputation and business objectives in a positive, consistent and timely manner.
- Prioritizes media and other public appearance opportunities and oversees all communication materials (speeches, presentations to investors and others, employee communications and other supporting material) for the CEO.
- Writes and issues all press releases for the company and develops positioning on all issues pertaining to the Quebec and Eastern region. In this role, reviews and approves on all such communications.
- Personally give TV, radio, newspaper and magazine interviews to protect and enhance Air Canada's values and images with investors, customers, the airline industry and the community pertaining to the Quebec and Eastern region
- Provides leadership to integrated communications teams (including Sales, Marketing, Investor Relations, Employee and Labour Relations) on major issues requiring communication activity (e.g. route announcements, labour work stoppages and other major operational disruptions).
- As a member of the senior communications staff, work closely with other communications professionals in the company (i.e. Corporate, Marketing, and Employee Communications; Government Relations; Regional Markets, etc.).
- Participate in development, management and implementation of corporate crisis communications plan.
- Seek and write feature articles for external publications.
- Pitch stories and pursue leads with key non-traditional media influencers.
- Develop and maintain deep industry networks, relationships, and partnerships including online media and influencers that help to drive reputation engagement and spark evangelism.
- Lead from the forefront of a rapidly evolving PR profession, executing against traditional approaches with excellence, while aggressively embracing next-generation PR tools and techniques.
- Proven track record with at least 10 years of experience in communications/public relations, with significant experience in traditional media relations and social media.
- Liberal Arts education with work experience in journalism or related field.
- Strong national PR industry network and relationships, with a focus on Quebec and Eastern Canada.
- Broad knowledge and experience in Domestic and International economics, politics and industry customer service strategies.
- Demonstrated excellence in written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and track record of working collaboratively and effectively interfacing with senior management, Board of Directors and staff.
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and willingness to be accessible 24/7 as business requirements dictates.
- Expertise in reputation management
- Strong intuition for interpersonal relationships and relationship building; strong diplomatic and critical listening skills
- Demonstrated ability to secure positive media coverage through innovative and effective use of PR that meaningfully advance brand strategies
- Positive, enthusiastic, presentable and comfortable speaking in front of large groups, to media and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of issues and trends in corporate communications in a high-profile, multi-stakeholder, company in a regulated industry.
- Knowledge of the airline industry is an asset.
Bilingual (fluency in English and French)
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.