Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
Reporting to the Manager Environmental Affairs, the Manager, Air Emissions and Aircraft Noise will provide environmental expertise on greenhouse gas (GHG) and air emissions from aircraft, ground operations and facilities and aircraft noise abatement, and lead the development and implementation of environmental programs and initiatives to sustain regulatory compliance with Canadian and international regulations and other corporate commitments. This role will also support the advancement of domestic and international policies related to greenhouse gas (GHG), air emissions, renewable fuels and aircraft noise abatement.
- Provide corporate environmental regulatory expertise, program management and oversight for Air Canada’s compliance to air emissions and noise management including ICAO Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA) and the European Union Emission Trading Scheme.
- Analyze and assess the impact, risk and opportunity of emerging climate change, air emissions and renewable energy sources policies, standards and regulatory requirements and assist in developing mitigation strategies to support the achievement of environmental goals. Provides project management and inter-branch coordination in developing project plan, business cases, and identification of external funding sources and application.
- Provide subject matter expertise in influencing the development of domestic and international environmental policies and standards related to GHG management, renewable energy and aircraft noise, including the development of a Canadian supply chain for alternative jet fuel. Engage with various governmental authorities (State, Federal, provincial, regional) and Airport Authorities on air emissions, noise and renewable energy issues.
- Manage projects/programs with air emissions, renewable energy and aircraft noise related environmental impact; negotiate with stakeholders; provide project definition and scope; prepare RFP and participate in vendor selection; manage project implementation and oversight of contractors; and ensure that the environmental aspects of assigned projects are documented (e.g., drawings, operating manuals) and appropriately communicated.
- Provide functional direction, assistance and environmental support system wide in the context of the Air Canada Environmental Management System (EMS).
- Assist the Director, Environmental Affairs in the preparation of quarterly environmental reports to the Corporate Environmental Board and the Safety, Security and Environment Committee of Board of Directors. Participate, upon request of Director, in relevant Board meetings and provide environmental reports detailing status of programs, monitoring results, etc.
- Assist the Manager Environmental Affairs in evaluating financial impact and process implications and ensure the development of plans and the allocation of appropriate funds to address upcoming regulatory issues.
- Represent Environmental Affairs at various internal working groups including the Fuel Efficiency Working Group.
- Represent the Corporation at meetings with regulatory agencies, with airport authorities, at various industry associations (i.e., IATA, A4A, NACC) and alliances (Star Alliance) to ensure Air Canada is represented appropriately, and to communicate issues of concern to relevant Air Canada business units.
- University degree in Engineering, Environmental Sciences or equivalent
- Minimum 5-7 years experience in related GHG management, environmental project management, aviation environmental management or pertinent aviation experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the principles of climate change mitigation and adaptation, energy efficiency and renewable energy sources.
- Knowledge of current Provincial and Federal environmental legislation, regulations and policies related to GHG and air emission, and related industry best practices an asset.
- Highly developed facilitation and negotiation skills, including an ability to foster strong relationships with and manage internal and external stakeholders
- Proven project management skills involving multiple departments
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong ability to prioritize activities and excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure with minimum supervision
- Commitment to quality and pride in work, patience and perseverance
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software and other software solutions
- Must be available and able to travel domestically and internationally approximately twice a month
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
At Air Canada, we want to fly higher when it comes to employment equity. We, therefore, encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, women, members of a visible minority and persons with a disability. Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.