Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
We are looking for a highly motivated person to fill the position of Manager, Commodity Taxes / Accounting & Audit in Toronto. This person will report to the Director, Commodity Taxes/Audits, Compliance & Accounting.
The Manager, Commodity Taxes Accounting & Audit will provide tax advice and guidance to business units on commodity taxes (GST, HST, QST, PST, VAT, Excise tax, Fuel and Carbon Tax as well as ticket taxes, fees and charges) in respect to Tax compliance and audits. They will manage commodity tax audits (taxes and fees of all nature including, federal, excise, provincial, states as well as international taxes) and contribute to the development of commodity tax strategy for major audit issues. They will mitigate Tax Assessments through implementation of process change and or system improvements.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
Tax Audit and Compliance
- Manage commodity tax audits and ensure tax audits are executed in an efficient, effective, and timely manner.
- Identify and implement corrective measures arising from tax audit assessments and findings. Ensure subsequent compliance.
- Liaise with government entities and assist the Director Commodity Taxes and the Managers, Commodity Taxes in coordination of tax audits conducted by external regulatory agencies and governments (taxes and fees of any nature including, federal, excise, provincial, state sales & use taxes, fuel and international, passenger taxes and fees).
- Assist the Director, Commodity Tax/ Audits, Compliance & Accounting in developing commodity taxes awareness throughout the company, including the development and the delivery of associated seminars and training.
- Assist in the preparation of the quarterly tax provision.
- Review accounting procedures and practices relating to commodity taxes and recommend, design, develop and implement changes or new procedures for proper control, when applicable. and optimize automation where possible.
- Reconcile and monitor very closely the commodity tax accounts to provide assurance that the collection and remittance of the international taxes are in compliance with the local rules.
- Assist and provide guidance to colleagues within the Tax Department, as well as the accounts payable, accounts receivable departments and passenger revenue accounting group, on the application of commodity taxes.
- Collaborate on tax issues, as required, with Finance, Human Resources, Corporate Accounting, Internal Audit, Maintenance, Marketing and other departments. .
- Develop guidelines, training materials, job aids for the Tax Department as required.
- Assist the Director, Commodity Taxes and the Director, Commodity Tax Audits, Compliance & Accounting with related duties.
- Degree in Business or Finance,
- CPA designation is an asset
- Completion of GST/HST in-depth tax course is an asset
- Minimum 7 years of experience in the commodity tax field. Experience in the transportation industry is an asset
- Demonstrated experience and comfort dealing with governmental authorities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to be a team player as well as a self- starter.
- Strong analytical skills combined with a demonstrated ability to handle multiple files.
- Excellent MS excel skills and MS database knowledge/similar tools (IDEA, Power query and Power BI) with technical skills in manipulating and analyzing large datasets.
- Proven leadership skills
- Good organizational skills and ability to work under pressure
- Knowledge of all Canadian and provincial commodity tax legislation (e.g., GST/HST, QST, PST, Excise Tax, Fuel Taxes)
- Knowledge of ticket taxes is an asset.
- Knowledge of US sales and use tax legislation, as well as International Commodity Taxes and VAT is an asset
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
Conditions of Employment:
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.