Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
Organizes and directs the work of Occupational Health Nurses, clinic staff and programs; coordinates staff to assure effective nursing services are provided, and quality standards are met. Staffing consists of Registered Nurses, RPNs, lab technicians and other healthcare providers as needed as well as administrative personnel. The function of the Manager, Occupational Health is to develop and maintain an environment that supports the professional nurses and staff. The Manager must be available to respond to emergencies outside of regular work hours as well as on weekends.
Key Functions & Accountabilities:
- Manages clinic’s activities and nursing staff, ensuring highest standards of practices and excellence in services.
- Provides leadership, direction and guidance to staff; directs and monitors YYZ clinic nurses.
- Coordinates activities by overseeing the system used for setting priorities, scheduling work assignments, and directing the work of nurses and other employees.
- Oversees the implementation and evaluation of occupational health programs including pre-placement health assessments for new employees, return to work assessments, travel medicine and vaccination programs, drug and alcohol testing program, medical clearance of passengers for air travel, TB surveillance and maintenance of emergency/aircraft medical kits
- Ensure compliance to applicable occupation health standards, laws, regulation and collective agreement provisions.
- Leads the implementation of health education ad promotion programs for employees
- Co-ordinates in-house pharmaceutical inventory control and distribution procedures
- Counseling employees in crisis intervention and referral to EAP
- Systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice and nursing services, analyzing appropriate internal and external data and information to identify opportunities for improving services, patient outcomes and patient/customer satisfaction.
- Promotes research, integrating evidence-based knowledge into the identification of best practices in the delivery of occupational health nursing services to the appropriate population.
- Promotes and monitors regulatory agency standards and customer service expectations for the practice of all aspects of occupational health nursing.
- Ensures availability and operation of necessary equipment and supplies for employee care.
- Responsible for interviewing and hiring of nurses and clinic staff.
- Coordinates and maintains the required training and skills of staff.
- Helps develop education programs designed to assist the occupational health nurses in the progression from novice to expert in the practice of occupational health nursing as well as mentoring the nurses in this field.
- Evaluates and verifies employee/contractor performance through the review of completed work assignments and work techniques.
- Responsible for operating within approved clinic budget.
- Effectively addresses personnel issues in order to promote a productive and healthy work environment.
- University degree or college diploma in Nursing, or equivalent.
- Current certificate of competence as a registered nurse is required.
- Ten (10) years experience in the field of Occupational Health.
- Occupational Health Nurse and/or CDMP (NIDMAR) certification
- Experience in overseeing management and administration of occupational health clinics.
- Proven People Management skills and experience;
- Experience in occupational health programs/process design and development of program metrics.
- Knowledge of occupational health & safety and compensation regulation/legislation, the Public Health Act, human rights and privacy laws.
- Experience in assessing functional abilities, disability management, fitness to work and working with return-to-work plans.
- Experience with the application of collective agreements and general knowledge of benefit plans.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Sound judgment and critical thinking abilities
- Excellent problem solving, capable of working and making timely decisions under stressful conditions.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Self motivated individual with proven organizational and counseling abilities, ability to work effectively with employees, management, unions and physicians.
- Competent PC skills using Microsoft Products: Word, Excel, Project.
- Available to work varied hours, reachable at night and weekends for emergencies.
- Able to travel by air to other stations as required. Travel 5%.
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the country of interest, at the time any offer of employment is made and seeking any required work permits/visas or other authorizations which may be required is the sole responsibility of the candidates applying for this position.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.