Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
Reporting to the Sr Manager, Operations Engineering, the position will be responsible for leading and sustaining Cargo operational engineering across the system. This role focuses on the use of lean and continuous improvement tools to improve business processes within a complex supply chain operation. Responsible for leading teams and initiatives tasked to reduce waste through standardization and digitization. Strategically focused on eliminating non-value-added activity, increasing productivity and accelerating throughput while improving the Customer experience (both internal and external).
- Direct reports include team of Operational Engineering Managers, Business Analysts and contracted skills.
- Responsible for overall management of process improvements for the system
- Align team on Engineering Operating System
- Develop strong partnerships with front-line employees and management teams to assess current processes and identify process improvement opportunities.
- Direct workflow analysis and help develop recommendations and strategy for improvement in cargo processes.
- Work closely with the Cargo Procedures, Training, Quality and IT teams
- Ensure that all cargo processes operate within lean manufacturing principles.
- Establish and maintain work standards for product costing and productivity measurement.
- Identify Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (PFMEA / Control Plan)
- Communicate with and instruct managers, supervisors and direct contributors in leading process change and, in the use, and value of continuous process improvement.
- Quantify potential and actual benefits in terms of safety, quality, cost and delivery.
- Accountable for the proper documentation of process re-engineering initiatives including the preparation of summaries and reports on work activities and metrics.
- Oversee the creation, development and improvement of process flow charts and value stream maps.
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial or mechanical Engineering is a requirement.
- Member of a Professional Engineering Order (OIQ, OSPE, etc) is a requirement.
- 7+ years of experience
- Proven leadership abilities
- Strong analytical and creative thinking skills for effective problem-solving
- High self-awareness with an active listening approach and team player
- Aptitude to deal with ambiguity and competing priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills at all levels of the organization
- Results and action-oriented, tempered by an ability to manage the pace of change with empathy.
- Highly organized
- Background leading at least 2 substantial Lean deployments.
- Previous experience leading Value Stream Assessments and Rapid Improvement Events, for example Kaizen Blitz events
- Participate in managing the process of selecting, scoping and prioritizing projects.
- Experience with techniques to identify cause and effect relationship (SIPOC, process flow diagrams, 5S, Apollo, Y-X, etc.)
- Strong capabilities in MS Word, Excel, Visio and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with statistical software and dashboard development is an asset.
- Familiarity with simulation software
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the country of interest, at the time any offer of employment is made and seeking any required work permits/visas or other authorizations which may be required is the sole responsibility of the candidates applying for this position.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.