Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
Reporting to the Manager, Avionics Engineering, this position is responsible to lead the IFEC hardware & software development initiatives and establish the strategy and plan for successful delivery, engage vendor to meet all the requirements from Air Canada internal customers and support engineering team to track all the in-service issue and establish a solid bug fixing plan for vendors to meet.
- Responsible to lead all hardware & software development initiatives related to (but not limited to) In-Flight Entertainment and Connectivity (IFEC) systems across all fleet types in Air Canada.
- Manage all requirements from IFEC Product Design & Analysis Team leading to IFEC hardware selection and software development for passenger onboard experience enhancement.
- Engage all IFEC vendors to deliver hardware upgrades, software development, reliability improvement and performance enhancement. Setup deliverable priority, schedule (milestones) and plan to be followed by vendors.
- Monitor the monthly media & content delivery schedule and provide support to Commercial team to plan the best deployment strategy without operational impact.
- Develop business case for software upgrade, bug fixes or functionality enhancement, manage the cost and apply for the required funding.
- Support the new IFEC system design, software product development from ACM engineering & maintenance perspective and assist Strategic Procurement team to review the IFEC product contract agreement and maintenance support agreement.
- Coordinate with IFEC Product Design & Analysis and Strategic Procurement team to manage all the contracted software deliverable on time from all IFEC vendors.
- Monitor all the in-service IFEC hardware MTBF and software performance, manage the priorities and coordinate with vendors to get the issue resolved in a timely manner.
- Support the ACM reliability working group and vendor management, liaise engineering team with vendors and all other key stakeholders to track the IFEC LRU components performance and propose an adequate and solid plan for reliability improvement.
- Manage the software development for all line fit or retrofit IFEC program, support engineering team to track all the software issues and establish a solid delivery plan to be met by vendors.
- Accountable to provide support to guarantee successful entry into service and development of the IFEC software program and ensure all software features along with the line fit IFEC products are delivered on time & on budget.
- Accountable to be a liaison among various Air Canada branches in order to properly establish the requirement for IFEC software development.
- Manage all the tooling and software used for IFEC system across all fleet type in Air Canada, responsible to keep all the tooling serviceable and software up to date.
- Ability to recognize opportunities to apply best industry practices and provide direction and recommendations.
- Work Experience (Previous work experience that is related to the job)
- Education (Minimum Education required)
- Impact (Level at which work performed will have an effect on; Team, Department, Branch, Organisation)
- Supervisory Extend (Level at which the job requires supervision)
- Influential Level (Level at which the job requires to influence the behaviour/ decisions of others)
- Thinking Environment & Challenge
- Decision-making (Degree of organizational empowerment for decision-making)
- Physical Effort (Level of physical effort or uncomfortable position)
- Sensory and Dexterity Effort (Level of coordination and manual dexterity where accuracy and speed are essential, how often is the sensory required)
- Physical environment (Physical work conditions in which the job needs to be performed; exposure to unpleasant or disagreeable conditions)
- Psychological environment (Level of mental stress & pressure resulting from the job)
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering recognized by a Canadian University or Provincial Engineering Association.
- Minimum 6 to 10 years of airline engineering experience.
- 5 years of program management experience.
- Excellent knowledge in In-Flight Entertainment and Connectivity system.
- Experience of In-flight entertainment and connectivity systems will be an asset.
- Knowledge in resources management, financial planning and program tracking.
- Knowledge in aircraft engineering/software, certification and regulations.
- Strong background in managing suppliers and tracking program progress according to schedule.
- Team player with effective communication skills and strong customer focus.
- Ability to develop and write clear, concise program schedules, presentations and executive summaries.
- Pride in accuracy and good work presentation to the satisfaction of internal customers.
- Self-starter requiring minimum supervision with good decision-making ability.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to co-ordinate details to successful conclusion.
- Willingness to be on call and to work additional time when required.
- Solid knowledge of most commonly used PC software as well as MS Project
- Availability to travel overseas for training, industry meetings, etc.
- Must be clear of any restrictions which will prevent entry into other countries
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the country of interest, at the time any offer of employment is made and seeking any required work permits/visas or other authorizations which may be required is the sole responsibility of the candidates applying for this position.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.