Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
The successful candidate will join the Air Canada Corporate Audit & Advisory (“CAA”) group to lead activities related to the internal control compliance effort required by National Instrument 52-109, CFO/CEO Certification.
This requires close collaboration with the Manager, Audit and Compliance. The experienced individual will be responsible for the planning, execution and reporting of audit work related to the 52-109 project to provide the independent and objective recommendation to the CFO/CEO to certify the financial statements.
Key duties include to liaise with external auditors and process owners responsible for internal controls over financial reporting; keep up with changing regulatory requirements that affect Air Canada; assess of financial, compliance and regulatory controls; manage Finance Compliance Auditor; and lead testing and review efforts.
Key Functions & Accountabilities:
Reporting to the Manager, Audit and Compliance, the position requires the individual to lead the following activities of CAA’s Finance Compliance practice:
- Lead the planning, performance and review of control testing processes and documentation to ensure the company and its subsidiaries comply with rules established by NI 52-109 regulations (internal controls over financial reporting) and ensure proper internal controls are in place that support the achievement of business objectives
- Lead and provide support to other testers related to system administration (Resolver), CAA 52-109 testing methodology, issue identification and assessment, and any other testing related inquiries
- Work with the Manager, Audit & Compliance, to assist in the development of the overall 52-109 project plan including the nature, timing and extent of 52-109 documentation and testing procedures at the entity, process, transaction and/or application levels
- Advise and assist with controls modernization and rationalization, including identifying opportunities and recommending approach to automate controls / reduce manual efforts
- Work with the Manager, Audit & Compliance and the Senior IT Auditor to ensure that relevant Information Technology General Controls (ITGC) are documented and tested, to support compliance with 51-09
- Integrate data analytics into audit testing approaches to enhance the overall quality and efficiency of the 52-109 audit
- Lead the Identification and documention financial control exceptions; analyze the impact of control exceptions, and identify compensating controls or corrective measures
- Identify and evaluate the effectiveness of controls to prevent or detect fraud
- Perform follow-ups with process/control owners on the implementation of corrective measures for identified control exceptions
- Fulfill project management responsibilities, including management of project plan, budget, timelines, review of testers’ work, communication with the testing team, process/control ownersand Air Canada’s external auditors as well as regular status updates to CAA Manager
- Educate process owenrs on risks that impact the organization from a 52-109 perspective
- Assist the Manger, Audti & Compliance with monthly & quarterly reporting
- Lead the annual narrative update process, including follow ups with process/control owners
- Coach and mentor Finance Compliance Auditor and other 52-109 audit team members to ensure quality of work and compliance with internal audit standards
- Build relationships and work collaboratively within the CAA group and with other business units
- Ensure that the standards of the Institute of Internal Auditors, and internal audit methodology are followed
- Maintain and enhance the level of knowledge of Air Canada, the aviation industry and related business environment
- Support other CAA service lines, as required
University degree in Business or related discipline
Professional risk management, accounting or auditing designation (e.g. CPA, CIA, CISA)
9+ years of riskinternal or external audit experience (at a minimum 5+ years of leadership experience))
Experience in managing medium to large scale audit projects
Strong nderstanding of risk & control concepts and standards including COSO
Strong business acumen with ability to adapt to new and complex situations
Ability to work independently and within a team
Strong analytical, planning and organizational skills, with an eye for detail
Strong project management skills, with an eye for detail
Considerable experience with coordinating, prioritizing and managing multiple projects simultaneously
Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare concise reports
Airline experience and knowledge of airline processes would be a distinct advantage
Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, Visio)
Experience with data analytic/visualization tools (ex: PowerBI)
Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential part of the position
Valid passport with ability to travel, domestically and internationally, sometimes on short notice
Based on equal qualifications, bilingualism (English and French) is desirable
Other combinations of qualifications and relevant experience may be considered
Conditions of Employment:
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted