Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
Air Canada, ranked among the top five most attractive companies to work for in Canada, is seeking a Manager, Strategic Initiatives who will be based in Toronto or Montreal.
The Strategic Initiatives (SI) group is Air Canada’s internal consulting organization. We are responsible for working with Air Canada’s business units to define and drive strategic, operational, and organizational improvement. The SI team partners with stakeholders to deliver insights that drive decision-making, execution, and investment for critical initiatives.
For this role, we seek collaborative, driven, and organized problem-solvers with exceptional relationship-building and communication skills. The successful candidate will be given exposure to a broad array of business challenges and will have the opportunity to deliver bottom-line impact to the airline.
Reporting to one of the Senior SI Managers, the selected individual will play a role in identifying, scoping, and executing high-value, cross-functional projects. The overarching mandate –creating value for Air Canada – can be delivered in different ways such as identifying incremental revenue and cost reduction opportunities, studying and improving productivity, exploring and evaluating new business models, and so on.
To be successful, we collaborate. Individuals in our group must enjoy the process of soliciting buy-in and working with colleagues in other parts of the organization. Our role is broad and a Manager can work across ideation, research, analysis, facilitation, process mapping, project management, and implementation planning. Finally, the selected individual will be looked upon to consistently demonstrate teamwork and leadership qualities to continue raising the bar within SI and strengthening the team’s performance.
The following describes the scope and responsibility of a Manager, SI:
- Identify and scope potential SI projects
- Identify opportunities through internal and external research, benchmarking, and discussion with Internal Customers (ICs) and colleagues in SI
- Using SI’s triage methodology, prioritize opportunities with high potential value and impact
- Scope projects and identify/engage stakeholders
- Lead and manage SI projects (for larger initiatives, may support Senior SI Manager rather than lead)
- Develop project charter and validate objectives
- Secure buy-in to proceed
- Engage project teams
- Develop project plans and drive team meetings
- Employ techniques to advance projects (process mapping, market research, benchmarking, statistical analysis, etc.)
- Contribute to the improvement of internal practices
- Participate in establishing standardized processes and methods for SI
- Produce high-quality project documentation that contributes to our ‘knowledge library’
- Share knowledge within SI and contribute to development of other staff and overall advancement of the group
- Act as an ambassador for Strategic Initiatives and Air Canada
- Actively engage in learning Air Canada’s business processes
- Through good work, solidify SI as a “go-to” group at Air Canada
- Continually seek improvement opportunities – for the airline, yourself, and our team
- Effectively communicate and promote our successes
- Further develop SI relationships with ICs and other stakeholders
To deliver high-quality, high-impact work, Managers in Strategic Initiatives are expected to be structured, detail-oriented, proactive, and interested in learning.
Various profiles can succeed in this role, and we welcome applicants who have experience in the following: Management consulting, change management, project management, and/or continuous improvement with a minimum of 6 years of total experience including at least 3 years in leading staff, managing change and consulting various stakeholders within previous organization(s) is required.
In addition to a University degree in a relevant field of study (e.g., engineering or business) the successful candidate will demonstrate excellent analytical, communication, and project management skills plus the ability to multi-task, work under pressure, and accommodate changing priorities. A strong entrepreneurial spirit and desire to learn will be critical and strong organizational skills are essential.
Experience leading cross-functional project teams and managing change is important. An MBA and aviation sector experience are desirable but not required.
Due to the confidential nature of the work, a high degree of professionalism and discretion is required. Flexibility with work hours and occasional travel may also be necessary.
Conditions of Employment:
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.