Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
About Air Canada and the Law Branch
Air Canada is the largest provider of scheduled passenger services in the Canadian market, the Canada-U.S. transborder market, and in the international market to and from Canada. In 2021, together with our regional partners, we operated flights to 154 direct destinations on six continents. In 2021, we were recognized for our people, products, and services at the 2021 Skytrax World Airline Awards with honours for: Best Airline Staff in North America and Best Airline Staff in Canada among others. We were also recognized by Mediacorp as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and ranked among the Achievers 50 Most Engaged Workplaces® with recognition as one of the ‘Elite8’ companies within the 2021 Achievers 50 Most Engaged Workplaces.
We have an innovative legal and compliance team that continues to earn the respect and confidence of its internal clients, participating as true business partners to support Air Canada’s strategic objectives. When you join Air Canada and its Law Branch, you’ll become a vital part of a team of driven professionals who are truly making a difference, connecting Canada and the world. The Law Branch is comprised of more than 80 dedicated professionals (including lawyers, paralegals and assistants), with expertise tailored to deliver best in class integrated legal solutions to Air Canada’s business units and corporate functions.
Air Canada is looking for a Director of Legal Operations to join our team of professionals in Montreal. This role contributes to Air Canada’s success by supporting the Law Branch’s innovation efforts, designing processes and systems for the effective management and operation of the branch and the consistent delivery of legal services that support the mission, purpose and core values of Air Canada and the Law Branch.
Leading a small team of accounting and legal operations professionals and working in partnership with the practice group leads and other members of the Law Branch, the Director of Legal Operations will be accountable for the overall operational effectiveness of the Law Branch. The role requires developing close relationships with business units and other corporate service functions at Air Canada that support legal operations, to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the Law Branch to serve the needs of the business. The Director of Legal Operations has the following responsibilities:
- Working in close collaboration with the Law Branch leaders and other key contributors and with Air Canada’s IT and Strategic Procurement teams, create a clear technology vision to support the needs of the Law Branch.
- Automate manual processes, improve workflows, digitize tasks, and improve speed and quality through the strategic deployment of technology solutions.
- Oversee management and operation of the Law Branch’s IT tools, including ONIT (matter management), iManage (document management) and Billing Point (budget and spend management).
METRICS AND ANALYTICS
- Lead and guide the Law Branch’s strategic use of data.
- Develop and oversee key performance indicators (including client satisfaction measures) and a “dashboard” of Law Branch effectiveness indicators to drive strategic planning activities, and facilitate department assessments and process improvements, financial planning, law firm management, resource allocation and other management and legal operations decisions.
LAW FIRM MANAGEMENT (INCLUDING ALTERNATE LEGAL SERVICE MODELS)
- In close collaboration with the Law Branch leadership team, monitor law firms’ (and other suppliers’) operational performance through on-going assessments and benchmarking analysis.
- Collect market data/information relevant to law firm selection and rationalization.
- Support the Law Branch leadership team in negotiating fee arrangements and managing key law firm relationships and the application of engagement terms.
- Develop cutting edge cost effectiveness and optimization strategies for external and internal spend.
- Design, implement, effect transition of work to low-cost legal services providers.
- Spearhead, with the Law Branch leadership team, internal Law Branch processes for the preparation and monitoring of Law Branch budgets and expense reporting.
- Support improvements in effectiveness and efficiency of internal Law Branch accounts payable and spend management processes.
GENERAL, OPERATIONS AND ADMINISTRATION
- Lead and support initiatives to improve team performance and culture to enhance the growth and development of Branch members, collaboration among Branch members and their internal clients and external service providers, helping preserve the Law Branch’s core asset: its people.
- Liaise with other Air Canada branches to address the Law Branch’s needs.
- Support the development and oversight of Law Branch policies, communication updates, ops reports, newsletters, etc.
- Lead, along with Law Branch leaders, knowledge management initiatives and develop AC Legal’s KM site.
- Stay abreast of legal industry trends to identify opportunities for improvements.
- Support the planning and execution of logistics for the Law Branch’s off-site and staff meetings.
- Oversee internal department management needs including facilities management and staffing plans.
- Oversee preparation for day 1 integration of new staff.
Working collaboratively with the Law Branch leadership team, create a long-term strategy, aligning yearly goals and corresponding performance metrics to ensure alignment between the Law Branch and the broader organization.
Preferred Qualifications & Desired Competencies
The position requires an accomplished professional with a record of relevant operational experience and excellence, knowledge of the legal field, demonstrating core competencies, such as leadership, change orientation, financial or management foundations, and collaboration.
Minimum of seven years of relevant knowledge and experience in operations (preferably legal), business project engineering, IT implementation and operations management is required. Experience with software development life cycle framework and knowledge of IT tools currently being implemented, ONIT, iManage and Billing Point would be an asset. Integrity (including a strong work ethic, high personal standards, discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information,) and professionalism are required. The successful candidate will be one who takes pride in “Flying the Flag”, acting as an ambassador of Canada’s flag carrier. Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual (English/French) candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
At Air Canada, our dedication to excellence and quality begins with our people. We are strongly committed to and celebrate diversity and inclusion and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We are also focused on creating a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our success. We welcome applications to help us build a more diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
Conditions of Employment:
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.