Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
We are looking for a Legal assistant to support our experienced and specialized Labour and Employment Team in Montreal. Candidates should have between two to five years’ experience in supporting a diverse labour and employment or litigation practice, including in supporting lawyers and paralegals involved in representing employers before tribunals and governmental authorities, advising on strategic corporate initiatives, supporting collective bargaining and supporting internal investigations. The successful candidate will be joining a team of experienced labour and employment law lawyers, paralegals and support staff. The successful candidate will be responsible for various tasks related to labour and employment law matters, including:
- Preparing correspondence, proceedings and materials to be used by counsel in hearings.
- Communicating with clients, witnesses, opposing counsel and tribunals regarding scheduling and other routine matters.
- Preparing workflow reports and updating data in file management systems
- Making arrangements for counsel to attend hearings.
- Filing, both electronic and hard copy, of matter materials.
- Processing invoices, expense claims, tribunal awards and settlements.
- Ensuring timely delivery of materials to be filed with tribunals or opposing counsel
- Responding to routine requests for information and documentation from internal clients.
- Coordinating input form clients on materials prepared by counsel.
- Creating, maintaining and updating the tools and templates used by the Labour and Employment team.
- Two to five years of experience supporting a labour and employment or litigation practice in a law firm or in a large, corporate environment.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, in English and French. A writing sample may be requested.
- Strong customer service skills.
- An evidenced facility with Adobe, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, QuickLaw and other online legal research tools.
- Personal Attributes
- Desire and ability to pursue continuous learning.
- Willingness to ask questions and to seek information as needed to complete projects and tasks.
- Strong attention to detail and rigorous.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize.
- Strong time management skills, including the ability to work independently and to work on several projects simultaneously.
- Project management skills, including the ability to adhere to strict project deadlines while being flexible as necessary in response to changes and delays.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with others, ability to work as a team member and to interact successfully with people at all levels of the organization, including attorneys, clients and outside counsel.
- Demonstrated professionalism, discretion and the ability to handle confidential information.
- Drive for results and urgency and motivation towards achievement.
- Fast and efficient work habits.
- Capacity to work under pressure, displaying composure in stressful situations.
- Tenacity and resilience to persevere towards goals, despite challenges and obstacles, maintaining enthusiasm through to the attainment of the goals.
- Integrity, including a strong work ethic is assumed. A successful candidate will be one who takes pride in his or her role as a representative of Canada’s international airline.
Bilingual (English and French)
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.