Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
The Specialist, Data Engineering will be responsible for helping to define and build the future state of Air Canada’s data integration and data lake paltform. He/She will be working closely with a team of skilled data engineers as well as our management team and other stakeholders to develop the strategy, technical solution and implementation roadmap.
The Specialist, Data Engineering will focus on the design and build out of data models, codification of business rules, mapping of data sources to the data models (structured and unstructured), engineering of scalable ETL pipelines, development of data quality solutions, and continuous evaluation of technologies to continue to enhance the capabilities of the Data Engineering team and broader Product and Analytics teams.
As a Specialist, Data Engineering, you will support our data engineers, data analysts and data scientists and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture and processes are consistent throughout ongoing projects. You are self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. You are excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
- Inspire, support and mentor the Data Engineering Team, and horsepower development of Data Engineering initiatives.
- Support Data Analytics and Data Science teams to ensure their needs are best served by the pipelines and processes in place.
- Work collaboratively with DevOps to make sure data engineering initiatives are properly supported at the infrastructure and architecture levels
- Design and develop processing pipelines that ingest data into a data lake
- Design and develop ETL pipelines using multiple sources of data in various formats between data lake and data warehouse.
- Conduct metadata management, data cleansing and conforming.
- Use sound agile development practices (code reviews, testing, etc) to develop and deliver data pipelines
- Provide day-to-day support and technical expertise to both technical and non-technical teams
- Work with other engineers to brainstorm solutions to problems and support others in their goals.
- Exhibit sound judgement, keen eye for details and tenacity for solving difficult problems.
- Use strong analytical skills and support use of data for sound decision making.
- Help build data engineering expertise and framework
- Translate business needs into technical requirements
- Build monitoring and debugging tools to analyze the data pipelines
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics/Statistics.
- Mindful of business priorities and can think out of the box to solve complex requirements
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Hands-on experience with Big Data technologies (e.g Hadoop, Hive, HBase, Spark, Kafka, Storm, Cassandra, Columnar Databases or Graph Databases)
- Hands-on experience with ETL technologies (e.g SSIS, Informatica or Datastage)
- Track record working with data from multiple sources – willingness to dig-in and understand the data and to leverage creative thinking to deliver results
- Proficiency with relational databases (Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, etc.)
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL). A SQL veteran, you also have working familiarity with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra and Mongo.
- Data warehousing experience
- Experience with cloud computing platforms like Microsoft Azure, AWS or Google Cloud
- Knowledge of the tooling for deployment, monitoring and site reliability
- Ability to work well in a team environment and be able to effectively drive cross-team solutions that have complex dependencies and requirements
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Experience working in an Agile team environment
- API development experience a plus
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.