Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
Reporting to the Director, Catering Product, the Manager, Catering Operations is responsible to plan and implement control systems/processes to optimize efficiency of the catering and commissary operations. Additionally, the role will have responsibility for budgeting, cost control, inventory management, quality control, on time performance and safety.
- Responsible for product quality and responses to internal and external customers’ reactions.
- Participate in the design, maintenance and ongoing administration of quality audit programs to ensure optimum product quality, provisioning integrity and value for money (i.e. Medina Audits).
- Responsible and accountable for catering and commissary product quality and for provisioning integrity on all flights operating in the designated territory, including products or services from third party suppliers.
- Participate in the development, implementation and monitoring of Commissary & Catering standards/specifications.
- Provide feedback on product and service standards to ensure cost effectiveness and appropriateness of service levels.
- Benchmark industry standards in product and equipment specifications and provide information/ recommendations to the Planning team.
- Recommend and/or initiate corrective actions for product or service deficiencies identified by internal and external customers.
- Responsible for the design and implementation of systems/processes for optimum field financial planning and control.
- Participate in budget planning for all stations in territory and for the achievement of budget and unit cost targets.
- Establish and maintain meal ordering, provisioning, control and invoicing systems.
- Responsible and accountable to ensure that Commissary and Catering services are provided in accordance with specifications, contracted price and approved budget.
- Responsible and accountable for audits and certification of invoices (as delegated) for goods and services and to ensure that "value for money" is received.
- Review caterer’s performance to include but not limited to Major Service Failure log, Delays, etc. and apply financial penalties as per caterers’ contract Service Level Agreement.
- Participate in vendor selection and the ongoing assessment of current providers.
- Responsible and accountable to provide all operational and administrative training to selected caterer for new station startups and maintain close contact throughout providing support as required.
- Maintain close association with frontline product and caterer performance by ensuring adequate time at flight arrivals and departures.
- Responsible to investigate and assess the root cause of any delays allocated to Catering Challenge delays as needed and provide pro-active solutions to prevent recurrences. Responsible for the planning and coordination of special flights and events.
- Develop and implement contingency plans for emergencies, labour disruptions etc.
- Responsible to determine metal, rotable and consumable inventories for all stations within assigned areas. Ensure that these are maintained within established parameters.
- Ensure caterers segregate AC’s material and equipment to be stored safely and that good housekeeping practices are evident and maintained.
- Monitor and ensure that damaged equipment is quarantined and returned to the appointed service point for repair.
- Establish and maintain close interface with contracted Launders to ensure service integrity. Reconcile accuracy of invoices and billing. Initiate and take corrective action as required.
- Work closely with Caterers and 3rd party suppliers to ensure AC NewCat protocols are followed and budget is under control.
The Internal Customer
- Work closely with the AC Catering team, health and safety, In-Flight Services, AC Airports and airport authorities building effective relationships in support of Corporate, Commercial and Operational objectives
- Develop strong working relationships with contract Caterers to ensure the clear understanding and necessary communication of all AC Commissary & Catering Product standards.
- Encourage, advise and provide direction to direct reports. Support exposure to other operational areas if assessed as being of benefit to the employee or company.
- Assumes any responsibilities delegated by the Director, Catering Product.
- In incumbent’s absence, all responsibilities for duties are delegated to another qualified individual.
- Keeps abreast of corporate initiatives and communications
- Responsible for ensuring the implementation of SMS (Safety Management System) processes across Catering Operations.
- Maintain safety as first topic day to day (production and administration).
- Responsible to ensure Caterer's compliance to all AC SOPs, safety and quality standards.
- Ensure/audit Caterers compliance to AC audit and quality assurance standards.
- Complete SMS indoctrination training.
- Follow IRAM (Intuitive Risk Assessment Model) for change or introduction of equipment, processes and procedures, and when conducting all investigations. Follow document retention guidelines
- University degree in Business Administration, Management and/or Commerce.
- 5-10 years knowledge in commercial airline business, specifically in manufacturing/catering industry: HACCP food safety regulations, Safety, Catering Operations, Catering Design, Flight Kitchen, Commissary Operations.
- Requires strong leadership and experience managing people
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to deal with all levels of the organization and internal and external customers
- A definite multi-tasker that can manage various operational issues and priorities simultaneously
- Capable of working under pressure and meeting deadlines independently or within a team.
- Self-motivated, proactive
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.