Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
We are looking for a highly motivated person for a Manager, Commodity Taxes position in Montreal. This person will report to the Director, Commodity Taxes / Planning, Policies and Procedures.
- Responsible to provide tax advice and guidance to business units on global international commodity taxes (VAT, Excise tax, Fuel Tax, Tickets Tax and other similar taxes).
- Analyse and implement new commodity tax legislation through development and implementation of internal policies and process.
- Analyse and develop processes to maximize global commodity tax saving opportunities and mitigate tax exposures.
- Responsible for interpreting commodity taxes legislation and develop policies / procedures to ensure Air Canada and its subsidiaries are in compliance with international passenger ticket tax laws and other commodity taxes legislation with regards to collection, data compilation and remittance process.
- Responsible for international passenger ticket taxes and other commodity taxes issues resolution and information requests from internal & external customers, including audits by external tax authorities.
- Identify and continuously improve indirect tax processes and internal controls, with a focus on international business units & markets.
- Keep up-to-date on current changes in commodity taxes legislation, analyse impact on Air Canada operations, and communicate it to branch financial officers of business units.
- Work in collaboration with the Director, Commodity Taxes/ Planning, Policies and Procedures in implementing appropriate changes to ensure compliance with new legislation and in developing commodity taxes awareness throughout the company, including the development and the delivery of associated seminars and training.
- Review sales and purchase agreements to ensure proper application of indirect tax terms and conditions. Work closely with Strategic Purchasing and Legal departments as well with all other departments initiating a contracting process.
- Proactively communicate and work with Director, Taxes regarding financial effects of key transactions, operations, new projects and legislative changes.
- Work closely with colleagues within the IT group and other system stakeholders to ensure continuous collaboration with the Tax Department for any new system implementation and/or system modification.
- Develop guidelines, training materials, job aids for Tax Department as required.
- Assist the Director Commodity Taxes with all other related tasks.
- Degree in Business or Finance, CPA (CA, CMA, CGA) designation preferred.
- Completion of Commodity Taxes courses/ Tax degree.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in the commodity tax field. Experience in the transportation industry is an asset.
- Significant experience interpreting and analyzing tax legislation.
- Significant and detailed knowledge of international commodity tax legislation (e.g., GST, SUT, VAT).
- Knowledge of airlines passenger’s taxes is an asset.
- Experience with systems implementation is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to be a team player.
- Strong analytical skills combined with a demonstrated ability to handle multiple files.
- Excellent organizational skills, autonomy and ability to work under pressure.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.