Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
We are seeking a Fuel Operations Manager who will be based in either Montreal Headquarters or Toronto.
The position would fall under Fuel Procurement group which also includes Fuel and De-icing Operations. The successful candidate will report to the Manager, Fuel Operations and will pay a key role in leading and contributing to broad range of operations activities within the fuel and de-icing operation. Given the cross-functional nature of this role, this opportunity will provide interaction with various key stakeholders in many parts of the organization.
This role requires someone who will be a key contributor to important operational projects for Air Canada both domestically and internationally. The successful candidate will apply a passion for leadership and collaboration in order to obtain the best results for the airline and to develop mutually beneficial relationships with suppliers.
The Fuel Operations Manager will work with the Manager of Fuel Operation and Manager System de-icing in overseeing fueling and de-icing operations while ensuring integrity, safety and flexibility necessary to meet operational requirements. Provide leadership both internally and externally to coordinate the critical interface between the fuel and de-icing operations, customer service, maintenance, real estate, quality assurance, technical services and environmental affairs. Assist in representing the company in all matters related to fuel and de-icing quality including the CSA, ATA103, ASTM, CGSB, Transport Canada and SAE.
- Working knowledge of fuel operations standards such as CSA B836, ATA103, JIG and de-icing standards such as SAE ARP 4737 and CARS
- Working knowledge of the NFPA 407
- Familiarity with fuel standards specification such as CGSB 3.23, ASTM D1655, DEFSTAN 9191.
- Enhance and reinforce the development and deployment of into plane training to into plane agents. Check through periodic audits for training compliance.
- Assist in the strategy for fuel and de-icing operations, to ensure appropriate corporate, consortium and vendor resources are employed and financially justified; execute strategy by coordinating direct report(s) and with external operating services staff.
- Ensure consistency across Canada and U.S. Airport fuel facilities, encompassing both consortium and non-consortium locations.
- Develop professional relationship with internal and external customer to ensure effective operations.
- Perform periodic inspections of airport fuel maintenance and operations (M&O), into-plane contract compliance, jet fuel inventory reconciliation and de-icing operations in Company’s network. Disseminate audit reports on a timely basis to all key stakeholders and ensure that audit findings are satisfactorily addressed. Manage, revise and enhance all associated airport fueling and de-icing checklists
- Assist in the development of necessary processes to improve safety and efficiencies of all aspects of the fueling and de-icing operations.
- Actively manage overall vendor relationship and performance
- Ensure contracted services are provided
- Address operational issues escalating from internal customer
- Support operation by facilitating discussion between parties
- Track operational effectiveness including contract services, staffing and equipment productivity in cost effective manner
- Establish operational priorities, identify and rectify gaps and/or changes required to policies, SOP’s, or other protocols and oversee completion of actions
- Develop contingency plans for a variety of scenarios that can form the basis of future operations.
- Assist in ensuring the company has adequate resources in place to ensure vendor and internal compliance with all IOSA controlled Fuel Manual and related processes, including coordination of all aspects of fueling from Dispatch through Airport Customer Service to Fuel Accounting
- Assisting in maintaining the Air Canada Fuel Manual (Publication 84) and the Air Canada Fuel Quality Management System.
- Pursuit of operational excellence through continuous improvement, while maintaining a high degree of safety, operational efficiency and resiliency
- Assist Manager Fuel Operations with the monitoring developments in the alternative fuels business and by participating in industry conference and maintaining dialogue with potential producers.
- Hold/attend regular industry roundtable discussions to implement best practices. Educate airport fuel and de-icing operators on best industry practices.
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Operations Research or Logistics or professional experience to support the responsibilities of this role.
- 3 – 5 years experience managing fuel and/or glycol operations is preferred
- Position requires considerable travel at least 50% of the time.
- Proven project management skills involving multiple departments and/or companies with ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Commitment to quality and pride in work, patience, perseverance, diplomacy
- Excellent communication skills, analytical thinking abilities
- Desire to learn and improve
- Ability to understand and manage complex processes
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite software
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.