Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
The Director, Airports - YYZ is accountable for the leadership and overall management of an assigned department with in the YYZHUB. This challenging role requires a person with a strong commitment to lead one of the following groups: Customer Experience, Aircraft Services, Baggage Performance or Station Operations Control. The individual must possess a thorough knowledge of end to end Airports processes and procedures. The individual within this role must be creative, have a passion for change and possess good communications skills as well as be able to work effectively with all levels of both internal and external organizations.
- Embrace and promote the Air Canada Flight Path.
- Develop and maintain a proactive safety and security culture for employees, customers, and company assets that effectively demonstrates the value “Safety First, Always”.
- Lead an Airports management team within the Toronto Airport.
- Develop and implement the strategic and mid-term tactical plan for the operational needs of the HUB.
- Anticipate, identify, and resolve service and operational problems.
- Manage a large unionized workforce affiliated to Unifor or IAMAW.
- Maintain a professional and engaged relationship with Union Representatives of Unifor or IAMAW and effectively manage labour relations with their respective union representatives.
- Counsel, develop and motivate his/her Airports team through example and be accountable for all activities related to the HUB.
- Act as a change facilitator for process and procedural improvement so as to achieve or exceed service and performance standards.
- Identify and implement solutions that support the continuous improvement and achievement of department, station, branch and corporate goals.
- Engage frontline employees to fully participate in process improvement exercises and encourage ongoing feedback from employees.
- Ensures Health and Safety standards and regulatory requirements are met through the implementation of any and all new processes.
- Accountable to ensure the required resources, equipment and facilities are in place to achieve operational targets and measures.
- Manage relationships with 3rd party agencies; including, Transport Canada, CBSA, USCBP, CATSA, Police.
- Develop and maintain strategic business relationships with the Airport Authority necessary to maintain operational facilities to the highest standard of safety and operational integrity including check-in areas, baggage systems, and gate areas.
- Drive improved station results on all measurables.
- Ensure the alignment of corporate and station goals.
- Communicate goals, objectives, expectations and performance targets.
- Communicate with staff on a regular basis to keep them up-to-date and knowledgeable of new products, performance (service and operational) issues and branch objectives.
- Responsible for managing the department’s budget.
- Drive accountability for revenue enhancement, cost containment and meeting budgetary targets.
- Develop and lead the Station Safety Plan and ensure consistent adherence to plan.
- Responsible for the maintenance, training and readiness to implement the Emergency Response Plan and act on behalf of the Senior Director as required.
- Collaborate with branch and local Resource and Training teams so as to ensure departmental training goals are achieved.
- Build and maintain strong positive working relationships with employees and co-workers to ensure a productive and respectful work environment for all parties.
- Recognize and acknowledge employees who consistently deliver service excellence.
- Be recognized as a role model for leadership excellence.
- Be entrepreneurial and make every decision as if you owned Air Canada.
- Strong leadership and negotiation skills - significant experience leading a large unionized workforce, including Labour Relations with different unions, in a customer-oriented and fast-paced operational environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement action plans that achieve objectives.
- Experience and track record leading, motivating and coaching a management and front-line employee team to success.
- Focused on continuous improvement, must be creative and an innovative thinker.
- Possess an energetic and tenacious achievement orientation.
- Ability to think strategically, laterally and conceptually.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong business acumen.
- Excellent interpersonal, conflict resolution, and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Strong networking skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to create and achieve a vision.
- Strong working knowledge of budget preparation, administration and thorough understanding of P&L statements and standard accounting practices.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work under pressure and achieve multiple objectives.
- Highly flexible and adaptable to support 24/7 operation – ability to work long and irregular hours.
- Airport Operational knowledge is essential including experience as an airport functional manager.
- Knowledge of Airports processes and procedures.is an asset.
- Familiar with Health and Safety standards and regulatory requirements as related to airport/airline operations
- University degree an asset.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.