Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
As part of the Enterprise Data & Analytics Team, the Data Governance Specialist will be responsible to ensure – via data definitions, data policies and standards, governance rules, roles and responsibilities - that information is managed as a strategic business asset.
- Partner with Business Stakeholders and IT to drive continuous improvement of our data management capabilities, practices, and outcomes to enhance both business performance and compliance levels over time through achievement of target information maturity model milestones.
- Contribute to the construction and maintenance of the data stewardship network.
- Help establish best practice and ownership of the corporate taxonomy and ontology and develop rules for their use.
- Develop standards, policies and procedures to support the creation and provide technical assurance for the on-going implementation of the data governance policy within the business.
- Contribute to the implementation of the Data Governance Framework.
- Elaborate business glossary with business Data Stewards and SMEs; determine data criticality in the context of identified business processes; Assess general data quality and identifies data issues.
- Determine root causes and business impacts of data quality issues; Assess existing data rules & responsibilities; Determine and prioritize data related risks with business Data Stewards and SMEs.
- Develop process improvements to enhance overall data quality.
- Develop rules and process to control the integrity (accuracy, thoroughness, process compliance) of all data within Data Warehouse and Big Data environment
- Recommend which data rules, responsibilities & data management processes should be implemented or changed.
- Support and contribute to project management activities by participating in the scoping and estimating of project efforts, risks identification and mitigation measures recommendation, communicating activity status and providing timely notification and escalation of possible issues/problems to the Project Manager.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems or a related study, or equivalent related project experience.
- 5+ years experience in architecture and implementation of complex technology systems
- Sound Data Governance and Data Quality concepts knowledge
- Strong ability to work in undiscovered, unstructured territories and to formalize processes that are currently not formalized
- Strong ability to link technical element (i.e. Data Models) to business elements (i.e. Business process mapping)
- Experience in business requirements gathering
- The role requires sound communication skills to influence and orient business and technical audience toward a common goal that is satisfying all stakeholders
- Strong ability to manage different stakeholder perspectives and resistance to change
- Knowledge of SQL (SSIS, SSRS, SSAS) and ETL Data Warehouse experience for Business Intelligence
- Ability to deliver mandate with great autonomy – self-driven
- Ability at taking decisions by understanding and explaining trade-offs between business enablement and economics impacts
- Familiarity with Data Governance tools such AXON, Colibra, Datum etc
- Knowledge of airline or transportation industry
- Knowledge of best practices and latest trends in data management
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.