Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
The Solutions Architect – Cargo IS is responsible for the scoping, planning and delivery of systems transformation and integration projects and will occupy a key role within the Cargo Information Systems Team at Air Canada. Air Canada is massively investing in new technologies that will facilitate its digital transformation. This is a unique opportunity to learn state of the art technologies at an industry leader, as well as to contribute to the creation of the Air Canada of tomorrow.
- Lead the scoping phase of Air Canada’s integration projects to determine the scope of intervention of the Cargo Information Systems Team
- Collaborate with business management to determine business process and productivity needs and an appropriate technology strategy to support business goals.
- Liaise with business and IT teams to establish the functional and the non-functional requirements (performance, security, etc.)
- Perform gap assessment of the As-Is processes in line with account / best practices such as ITIL and Agile.
- Facilitate implementation and adoption of the Enterprise Service Bus Platform, by educating business and IT teams on its role and benefits.
- Design the optimal solution for answering the requirements, maximizing its availability, scalability, robustness and reusability.
- Provide solution architecture documents that describe the solution in a top down approach: context diagrams, use cases, flows, etc.
- Present the proposed solution to various stakeholders, being able to vulgarize the design to an audience that do not always have technical background.
- Lead a team of business systems analyst to support systems enhancements and change management activities.
- Lead the implementation process with internal and external development teams: participate into the project-related activities, act as the owner of the solution and support the team as subject matter expert.
- Develop the Cargo Information Systems Team operating model, by defining and improving templates for the key architecture deliverables (architecture plan, architecture blueprints) and guidelines (recommended integration patterns). Be the advocate for good integration practice towards internal and external development teams.
- Actively contribute to the continuous enhancement of the team and the platforms, by bringing new ideas and solutions on how to improve the applications, the processes, the delivery, the communication, etc.
- Act as a key change management agent to facilitate new technology implementation and adoption.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or engineering
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in IT
- Experience in the scoping/vision phase of projects: gather and understand the high-level requirements, synthetize them in a vision and define the high-level scope of the project
- Experience as a solution architect (min 3 years).
- Experience in documenting solution architecture: AS IS / TO BE / Transition states, knowledge of UML-based diagrams (context, use cases, sequence, state-transition, etc.).
- Experience in designing robust, scalable, reusable solutions, ensuring high availability and considering disaster recovery scenarios.
- Experience in Service Oriented Architecture (SOA).
- Strong experience developing and integrating with APIs (min 2 years). Experience in API-related technologies: authentication patterns, XML, JSON, SOAP, REST, HTTP
- Experience with at least one ESB, ideally Java-based.
- Experience in Java development an asset.
- Experience in leading an external development team: redact high level requirements and solution architecture, review solution analysis documents from the supplier, proactively help the supplier by facilitating access to systems and documentation, by anticipating the supplier needs and by communicating with external and internal partners to get things done.
- Experience with leading and supporting a team.
- Experience in at least one major system migration.
- Experience in Agile and waterfall development methodologies.
- Experience in Relational databases and NoSQL databases.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to vulgarize technology to a non-technical audience and to sell an idea.
- Great ability of abstraction, capacity to understand the big picture, to stay at a higher level of detail when appropriate but dig deeper into details when necessary
- Ability to work in parallel on projects of different size and criticality, ability to deliver on time
- Interest in learning new technologies and understanding the challenges of the airline and Cargo industries.
- Pro-active and capable of autonomous work
- Master’s degree in computer science or engineering
- Experience with an API-management software (Mulesoft API Manager, IBM API Connect, Apigee, 3scale)
- Experience in RFP processes
- Experience in data architecture
- Experience in load tests
- Experience in deployments in cloud environments (AWS, Azure) and the underlying on-prem to cloud connectivity challenges
- Experience in the airline or air cargo industries
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.