Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
As a Junior Data Scientist at Air Canada, you will drive the analytical scope and method for projects using Mathematics, Stats, Machine Learning and Business Understanding to derive structure and knowledge from raw data. We are looking for a data scientist that will help us discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data and help us make smarter decisions to deliver even better products and services. Your primary focus will be in applying data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis, and building high quality prediction systems integrated with our products and services.
- Work on complex data sets within Air Canada and external sources to solve real world problems
- Participate in the design, development and evaluation of innovative models, data science products and solutions for internal clients as well as for our data science team
- Work in a multi-disciplinary environment with specialists in machine learning, data engineering and design
- Select features, build and optimize data science models using different techniques in the data science toolbox
- Extending Air Canada’s data with third party sources of information as needed
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for the building analytical solutions
- Process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis and modeling
- Participate in testing and maintenance of data science solutions
- Assist in the development of automated processes for large scale data analysis
- BSc/ MSc degree in the field of Computer Science, Machine Learning, Applied Statistics, or Mathematics
- Associate Certified Analytics Professional (aCAP) certification preferred
- 1 to 4 years of experience as a Junior Data Scientist or in a similar role
- Experience in statistical modelling and machine learning techniques, an asset
- Understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as Scikit learn, Azure ML, R, Weka, NumPy, MatLab,etc, preferred
- Programming experience in at least two of the following languages: R, Python, Scala, SQL
- Experience in applying data science methods to business problems, preferred
- Experience in applying analytical and statistical methods in the commercial world
- Strong presentation and communication skills, with the ability to explain complex analytical concepts to people from other fields
- Knowledge of distributed computing
- Experience with data visualization tools such as D3.js, GGplot, etc., an asset
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Hive, Pig
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Good scripting and programming skills
- Data-oriented personality
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.