Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
The Portfolio Manager is responsible for the leadership of a portfolio of programs/projects within a branch/es at Air Canada, e.g. Commercial, Customer Service, Operations, Corporate, IT etc. For their respective portfolio, the Portfolio Manager will work closely with the Accountable Director in IT and Project Sponsors to ensure projects are properly assessed, resourced and managed. They will ensure consistency in project delivery and governance and provide recommendations to Steering Committees to move projects through the gating lifecycle. They will pro-actively identify and manage IT PMO resource demand and capacity.
The Portfolio Manager will oversee (combination of solid and straight-line resources) a team of Senior Program Managers, Program Managers, Project Managers and Project Control Managers ensuring alignment with corporate strategy, process consistency across initiatives and customer satisfaction. In this capacity they will also provide mentoring, coaching, training and development of team members.
The Portfolio Manager will have significant Program Management experience as well as a variety of management skills to ensure successful program implementation. The position is part of the Director, IT Program Management Office (PMO) organization.
- Build strong, collaborative relationships within the business units to gain greater appreciation of project management needs and project goals and objectives
- Identify opportunities to apply best demonstrated practices, provide guidance and recommendations for successfully implementing projects
- Recommend projects to move through the project gating lifecycle including delivery assurance reviews
- Escalation point for Managing/Senior Director of IT for resource requests, PM issues, etc
- Recommend new projects for intake and assist with prioritization by understanding the forecasted spend and proactively recommending funding reallocation to ensure maximum utilization of capital and project opex budgets
- Stay abreast of business strategy to better forecast PM needs
- Audit projects and provide recommendations to ensure successful delivery to our business partners
- Perform Delivery Assurance Reviews (DAR) as required by the PMO process
- Initiate Solution Assurance Reviews (SAR) as required by the PMO process utilizing third parties where appropriate
- Assign Program/Project managers and other resources to projects
- Work with other Portfolio Managers to identify and resolve issues and dependencies at the organizational level
- Ensure satisfactory liaison with stakeholders across organization
- Work closely with other members of the PMO to create, revise and maintain PMO governance and structure
- Evolve maturity of the PMO by aligning/revising processes with major third-party vendors and pro-actively aligning with best practices and trends
- Act as an ambassador for the PMO
- Provide leadership, mentoring, guidance, and support to direct and dotted line reports and the Project Management team
- Ability lead and inspire dotted-line reports
- Provide guidance and assistance to resolve project issues and risks
- Create trusting relationships with team and clients/business partners led by open and honest communication
- Identify career opportunities and align projects with individual’s ambitions and skill set
- 10 years or more of Program Management Experience
- PMP Certification
- Bachelor’s degree or MBA or equivalent
- Requires in depth expertise and knowledge of Portfolio and Program Management principles and techniques to propose and implement different types of solutions within Business Units
- Requires good knowledge of the Operations, Customer Service and Commercial branches
- Requires good knowledge of Strategic resource planning within a Project Management environment
- Requires good knowledge of Project level Financial planning and reporting
- Strong presentation skills and ability to articulate business needs to Senior and Executive Management
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.