Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
This is an alignment of job title and function within of the Network Strategy team. The Manager, Network Strategy is instrumental in developing strategic initiatives that affects Air Canada’s network endeavors. Specific responsibilities of this role includes but not limited to: identification and assessment of network-critical issues facing the airline, formulation and development of strategic initiatives and recommendations to achieve Air Canada’s corporate objectives, competitive analysis, assist in the development of long term strategies, lead cross-functional teams, and track Air Canada’s network initiative performance. This role requires knowledge of the airline industry.
- Forward-looking/long term strategy development
- Develop long range network strategy to ensure most competitive and profitable network for Air Canada and its subsidiaries; Identify and evaluate new market/route opportunities for expansion and growth
- Develop and assess forward-looking scenarios to measure potential impact to Air Canada
- Develop long range plan by closely working with manager fleet and Tier II to meet Air Canada’s growth objectives
- Track industry developments and macro environment changes to assess impact on Air Canada’s long term profitability in order to develop appropriate network strategies and response plans
- Project work
- Identifying and scoping network initiatives that have the potential to significantly change and improve how Air Canada does business; assist in developing and recommending corrective action where necessary
- Monitor and analyze competitors’ fleet plans capacity, alliances, network and schedules; and develop appropriate strategic and tactical responses to market
- Analyze Air Canada’s competitive position and identify potential initiatives to improve revenue; assess impact and develop business case/implementation plan
- Define, plan and manage a large, diverse portfolio of projects to completion, on-time and on-budget
- Develop presentations for Air Canada leadership and various stakeholders throughout the company
- Develop knowledge base and stay abreast of macro environment developments and competitive factors that impact the airline industry
- Data Analyses
- Gather data from a variety of internal and external sources to perform ad-hoc analyses on initiatives impacting Air Canada’s network
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analyses to frame and solve key strategic and tactical business issues for Air Canada’s network; develop reports and presentations that summarize key findings
- Present findings and recommendations to senior leadership
- Cross-functional coordination
- Lead and work in cross-functional teams to execute projects, deliver results, and ensure organizational ownership
- Work closely with the all stakeholders (e.g. other planning groups, community relations, the alliances group, Maintenance, RM, Marketing, and ACV) to ensure clear communication of goals, alignment of network strategy and effort, and sharing of market knowledge
- Metric and report development
- Develop scorecards, frameworks and dashboards that assist with decision making
- Collaborate with other Managers and Directors in the understanding and evaluation of performance results and metrics
- Support Air Canada leadership on projects with a focus on revenue improvement and generation
- Strong understanding of the airline industry with expertise in Network Planning, Corporate Strategy, Finance, and/or RM; A solid understanding of airlines economics and firm understanding of economic and business principles required
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills to analyze complex data
- Ability to think in a logical, structured manner in solving problems
- Capable of structuring comprehensive, logical analysis with minimum supervision
- Ability to think outside of the box and develop flexible approaches to resolve complex issues
- Experience in supervising junior team member to complete work projects; develop cohesive analyses, translate and communicate data, and draw conclusions to develop recommendations
- Ability to work in a complex, quickly changing environment and to manage simultaneous projects while meeting deadlines
- Self-motivated individual with strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills - must be a team player and able to work under pressure
- Expert users in Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills. Access skill desirable
- Must be fluent in English (written and spoken). French fluency an asset
- 5-7 years of work experience in airlines, consulting, financial institutions, or finance/strategic planning in a large corporation preferred
- University degree required with specialization in a business-related field (Management, Accounting, Finance, Marketing, etc.) or other quantitative disciplines (Economics, Mathematics, Engineering or equivalent) preferred. Graduate studies are an asset.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.