Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
Air Canada, recently ranked SkyTrax’s Best Airline in North America, is seeking for an investigative and self-motivated individual to fill a permanent full-time position of Senior Technical Data Controller that is currently available at the Air Canada Customs Department in Montreal.
- Liaise with Canada Customs and any other agency, as required, in order to arrange customs clearance for aircraft and aircraft-related materials or parts.
- Prepare customs documentation for expeditious release of goods in the country of destination.
- Use TRAX, Visual Importer and Export Declaration Manager
- Ensure that routing method chosen is consistent with Strategic Purchasing and Logistics contracts and route structure.
- Ensure compliance with all regulations imposed by home and foreign governments.
- Knowledge of different modes of transport, and the way that each is handled for Customs clearance purposes.
- Knowledge of the different modes of Customs clearance, their applicability and risks associated with each.
- Support the external Customs services, e.g. brokers.
- Assign classification number to each commodity, following the legal and regulatory guidance of the Harmonized Tariff, Explanatory notes and Departmental Memoranda, under Guidance of Manager or Senior Technical Data Controller – Customs.
- Assign duty rates according to commodity, following the legal and regulatory guidance of the Harmonized Tariff.
- Verify all information supplied to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Liaise with other warehouse locations, departments, customers and manufacturers' representatives along with internal personnel as required.
- Perform specific communications/administrative duties related to packaging materials, customer needs, mode of transport.
- Prioritize shipments according to supplied guidelines.
- The Senior Technical Data Controller will also have other duties, as assigned, including, but not limited to, filing, research, external contact, reporting and special projects.
NOTE: Additional responsibilities vary between cities and between Imports and Exports. The forms for each are different; the local Customs practice also vary by region. There is also different handling and Customs treatment, depending upon the nature of the goods (e.g. Aircraft Parts, Ground Equipment), the type of Customs warehouse involved (Sufferance) and the mode of transport, (Air, Road, Rail, Sea).
- 5 years of customs experience
- Possession of a CCS (Certified Customs Specialist) or of a CTCS (Certified Trade Compliance Specialist) designation is an asset
- Ability to shift focus given changing priorities and time constraints.
- Good organizational skills with a strong awareness for precision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills (oral and written) in dealing with personnel and/or customers.
- Must be a team player.
- Possess investigative nature and be self-motivated.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) is a must.
- Knowledge of TRAX, Visual Importer and Export Declaration Manager is an asset.
- Eligible to work in Canada.
- Ability to pass security clearance and obtain the Transport Canada Restricted Area Identity Card (RAIC).
Bilingual (English and French)
At Air Canada, we want to fly higher when it comes to employment equity. We, therefore, encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, women, members of a visible minority and persons with a disability.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.