Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
The Solution Architect is responsible for the scoping and design phases of integration projects and will occupy a key role within the newly created Enterprise Integration Team at Air Canada. Together, we will facilitate integrations between the different Air Canada systems, and develop the Enterprise’s core Application Programming Interfaces (APIs). These are exciting times for IT at Air Canada, with many major projects underway that will transform the IT landscape the company, such as the replacement of the company’s core Passenger Service System and a new loyalty program. Air Canada is also massively investing in new technologies that will facilitate its digital transformation. This is a unique opportunity to learn state of the art technologies at an industry leader, as well as to contribute to the creation of the Air Canada of tomorrow.
- Lead the scoping phase of Air Canada’s major integration projects to determine the scope of intervention of the Enterprise Integration Team
- Liaise with business and IT teams to establish the functional and the non-functional requirements (performance, security)
- Facilitate adoption and use of the Enterprise Integration Platform, by educating business and IT teams on its role and benefits
- Design the optimal solution for answering the requirements, maximizing its availability, scalability, robustness and reusability.
- Create solution architecture documents that describe the solution in a top down approach: context diagrams, use cases, flows, etc.
- Present the proposed solution to the architecture board during a solution review session, being able to vulgarize the design to an audience that has technical background but no expertise in the integration technologies that will be used.
- Lead the implementation process with internal and external development teams: participate into the project-related activities, act as the owner of the solution and support the team as subject matter expert
- Design Air Canada’s core APIs, ensuring a maximal reuse of the enterprise capabilities
- Develop the Enterprise Integration Team operating model, by defining and improving templates for the key architecture deliverables (architecture plan, architecture blueprints) and guidelines (recommended integration patterns). Be the advocate for good integration practice towards internal and external development teams.
- Actively contribute to the continuous enhancement of the team and the platform, by bringing new ideas and solutions on how to ameliorate the applications, the processes, the delivery, the communication, etc.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or engineering
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in IT
- Experience in the scoping/vision phase of projects: gather and understand the high-level requirements, synthetize them in a vision and define the high-level scope of the project
- Strong experience as a solution architect for mission-critical systems (min 3 years).
- Experience in documenting solution architecture: AS IS / TO BE / Transition states, knowledge of UML-based diagrams (context, use cases, sequence, state-transition, etc.).
- Experience in designing robust, scalable, reusable solutions, ensuring high availability and considering disaster recovery scenarios.
- Experience in Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
- Strong experience developing and integrating with APIs (min 2 years). Experience in API-related technologies: authentication patterns, XML, JSON, SOAP, REST, HTTP
- Experience with at least one ESB, ideally Java-based
- Strong experience in Java development (min 2 years)
- Experience in leading an external development team: redact high level requirements and solution architecture, review solution analysis documents from the supplier, proactively help the supplier by facilitating access to systems and documentation, by anticipating the supplier needs and by communicating with external and internal partners to get things done
- Experience in at least one major system migration
- Experience in Agile and waterfall development methodologies
- Experience in Relational databases and NoSQL databases
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to vulgarize technology to a non-technical audience and to sell an idea.
- Great ability of abstraction, capacity to understand the big picture, to stay at a higher level of detail when appropriate but dig deeper into details when necessary
- Ability to work in parallel on projects of different size and criticality, ability to deliver on time
- Interest in learning new technologies and understanding the challenges of the airline industry
- Pro-active and capable of autonomous work
- Master degree in computer science or engineering or MBA
- Experience with an API-management software (Mulesoft API Manager, IBM API Connect, Apigee, 3scale)
- Experience in RFPs
- Experience in data architecture
- Experience in load tests
- Experience in deployments in cloud environments (AWS, Azure) and the underlying on-prem to cloud connectivity challenges
- Experience in the airline industry
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
At Air Canada, we want to fly higher when it comes to employment equity. We, therefore, encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, women, members of a visible minority and persons with a disability.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.