Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
Air Canada is seeking an experienced and dynamic senior leader to adapt, mature and manage a significant IT partner delivery landscape as part of the overall IT transformation at Air Canada.
Air Canada is adapting its service delivery model to in-source key technical and delivery roles that are currently managed by a few large and many small vendors as well as restructure the overall landscape of IT services delivery. Driving maturity in this area will require deep interaction with Air Canada’s Strategic Procurement team as well as a strong understanding of the external service providers competitive landscape. This role is accountable for managing the overall delivery performance of the partner landscape to assure value spent is value accrued.
This position is instrumental to aligning IT organization, roles and processes to be effective in gaining optimal value from vendors, clearly delineating the activities performed by vendors and those that are retained by Air Canada. A key deliverable is to elevate and manage the client / vendor relationship to one of a strategic partnership in delivering on the overall mandate of the IT branch. Further, the design of relationship and commercials need to allow for easier periodic competition among vendors for work.
This position reports to the Managing Director, Enterprise Services and Head of Technology. The individual will interact with other leaders within IT, with executives and staff of other departments, with IT business partners, and most critically with external service partners at many levels with-in these large, complex organizations.
- Create and lead the implementation of the IT partner strategy supported by the strategic procurement office with clear performance outcomes;
- Establish a partner management team that is focussed on partner relationship, performance and skills including the establishment of an effective governance process with large partners;
- Establish and influence roles and responsibilities that ensure Air Canada IT service owners are able to plan and execute work effectively with the partners;
- Conduct periodic partner reviews that track key metrics, identify and resolve known issues, and audit for contractual compliance;
- Track value for work and ensure Air Canada is receiving optimal value from all partners and contracts;
- Create the conditions for periodic vendor competitive bids for major aspects of work within IT, ensuring Air Canada could recover safely from any significant issue with a given vendor. Working with Strategic Procurement, compete work periodically to ensure healthy delivery of quality and value;
- Reduce the total number of vendors such that Air Canada avoids excessive risk and overhead and provides the right level of accountability and authority within chosen vendors;
- Collaborate with Strategic Procurement in establishing competitive processes and contracts for IT related project work, ensuring maximum value is gained from existing vendors and that Air Canada balances risk and efficiency with delivery of services;
- Collaborate with Strategic Procurement in designing and implementing IT vendor negotiations;
- Retain and uphold a current list of partner contacts and be the first and primary point of contact for major vendors as it relates to new work. Control excessive partner engagement with IT;
- Collaborate with audit and Strategic Procurement to ensure periodic reviews of partner performance are conducted and to look for any abuses of privilege or other behaviour inconsistent with Air Canada values. Coordinate site visits as relevant.
- Accountable for semi-annual partner performance report for the CIO, covering all aspects of performance for the top five partners by annual spend, and a summary of performance of all other vendors in less detail.
- This position is accountable for establishing value from vendors for more than 70% of the total IT spend, varying annually but around $200 million.
- A relevant University degree/technical certifications and/or relevant experience
- 15-20 years experience in IT in a large company, in positions of leadership
- A self starter with critical thinking, analytical approach, business acumen and decision making
- Bring a sense of urgency, customer advocacy and drive for results
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- A team player and proven leader with excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative attitude
- Relevant project execution experience, especially regarding vendor execution
- Experience with out-sourcing partners is critical
- Familiarity with the airline industry is an asset, and transportation/logistics background is also an asset
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
At Air Canada, we want to fly higher when it comes to employment equity. We, therefore, encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, women, members of a visible minority and persons with a disability. Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.