Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
We are looking for a highly motivated person for our Montreal Manager, Commodity Taxes position. This person will report to the Director, Commodity Taxes / Planning, Policies & Procedures.
- Responsible to provide tax advice and guidance to business units on commodity taxes (GST, HST, QST, and PST, Excise tax, Fuel Tax and other similar taxes)
- Analyse and implement new commodity tax legislation through development and implementation of internal policies and process.
- Analyse and develop processes to maximize the global commodity tax saving opportunities and mitigate tax exposure.
- Responsible for interpreting commodity taxes legislation and develop policies / procedures to ensure Air Canada and its subsidiaries are in compliance with federal and provincial tax laws
- Keep up-to-date on current changes in commodity taxes legislation, analyze impact on Air Canada operations
- Work in collaboration with the Director, Commodity Taxes/ Planning, Policies and Procedures in implementing appropriate changes to ensure compliance with new legislation and in developing commodity taxes awareness throughout the company, including the development and the delivery of associated seminars and training
- Proactively communicate and work with the Director, Taxes regarding financial effects of key transactions, operations, new projects and legislative changes
- Review sales and purchase agreements to ensure proper application of indirect tax terms and conditions. Work closely with Strategic Purchasing and Legal departments as well with all other departments initiating a contracting process
- Provide advice, guidance, support and ongoing assistance to various departments on the implementation of tax procedures and general tax application
- Work in collaboration with the Director, Commodity Taxes to perform internal and external commodity taxes recovery reviews
- Work closely with colleagues within IT group and other system stakeholders to ensure continuous collaboration with the Tax Department for any new system implementation and/or system modification (design, configuration, testing and implementation of tax related aspects).
- Develop guidelines, training materials, job aids for Tax Department as required.
- Assist the Director Commodity Taxes with all other related tasks.
- Degree in Business, Finance or Law or completed accounting designation.
- Completion of GST/HST In-depth tax course.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in the commodity tax field. Experience in the transportation industry is an asset.
- Significant experience interpreting and analyzing tax legislation.
- Significant and detailed knowledge of all Canadian and provincial commodity tax legislation (e.g., GST/HST, QST PST, Excise Tax, Fuel Tax).
- Knowledge of US sales and use tax legislation, as well as International Commodity Taxes and VAT is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to be a team player.
- Strong analytical skills combined with a demonstrated ability to handle multiple files.
- Excellent organizational skills, autonomy and ability to work under pressure.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
- Bilingual (English and French).
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
At Air Canada, we want to fly higher when it comes to employment equity. We, therefore, encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, women, members of a visible minority and persons with a disability.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.