Location: Chicago, IL, United States (Onsite)
Starting Salary: $18.35/hour
Category: Unionized (IBT)
Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol. Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
Deal directly with the public, other airlines, agencies and Company employees by providing Cargo warehouse services in our Chicago Warehouse in a manner prescribed by the Company.
Accept and deliver cargo, mail and comat ensuring that the associated paperwork is correct and that the shipment is correctly marked and labeled.
The position is located at the O'Hare International Airport, Chicago. The current salary is $18.35/hr as per the collective agreement.
Tasks / Responsibilities
- Buildup and breakdown pallets, ULDs, cart Load and unload trucks.
- Store cargo and comat in appropriate racks/bins/areas recordings and reporting locations as required.
- Receive and answer enquiries from the public, other airlines, agencies and Company employees.
- Physically handle Cargo/Mail/Comat manually or by machine (e.g., fork lift).
- Drive Company vehicles.
- Accept and process Hazardous/Restricted material shipments in accordance with Company and Governmental rules and regulations. In the absence of Manager and Lead Customer Service Agent, make, carry out and document decisions necessary to ensure the efficient operation of the work unit and protect Company interests.
- Inform staff either verbally or in writing, as required, of changes in rules, methods or procedures.
- Ensure that all necessary supplies and material are on hand in sufficient quantity.
- Collect and compile statistical data.
- Assist in the investigation of damaged or incomplete shipments and completion of bad order reports as required.
- Must have an ability to use tact, good judgement and initiative.
- Must be capable of expressing self in a clear and pleasant manner.
- Ability to work under pressure with a minimum of supervision.
- Must, after training, be able to use the Company's automated cargo tracking and accounting system.
- Wear Company uniform as prescribed and conform to Company grooming standard.
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Must be able to operate Company vehicles and machinery.
- Must be able to stand or sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift seventy (70) lbs unaided.
- Must maintain an acceptable attendance record.
- Customs Seal required and is subject to approval by U.S. Customs and Border Protection and/or third-party equivalent.
- Security clearance and USCBP clearance required.
- While on duty MUST wear safety shoes as described in Company regulations.
- Required to wear Company provided hearing protection while working in designated high noise areas.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the country of interest, at the time any offer of employment is made and seeking any required work permits/visas or other authorizations which may be required is the sole responsibly of the candidates applying for this position.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.