Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
The Engineer, Aircraft Performance is responsible for the design, development, and analysis aspects of aircraft performance. In addition, the Engineer also collaborates with Chief Pilots on policy, standards, procedures, and data in accordance with Transport Canada regulations. This position ensures that expert technical consultation and support is available to other departments and branches as required in all matters involving aircraft performance.
- Design, develop, and analyze aircraft performance policies, standards, procedures, software, and data in accordance with industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Generate aircraft performance data using the approved Airplane Flight Manual or other manufacturer’s source material.
- Review drafts of Airplane Operating Manual (AOM), Quick Reference Handbook (QRH) and Minimum Equipment List (MEL) with a focus on content related to aircraft performance.
- Monitor and develop evolving technologies for distribution of performance data to flight crews and flight dispatchers.
- Develop tools and databases, such as those used for airport analysis, route analysis and fuel bias calculation.
- Provide expert technical consultation and support to other departments and branches as required in all matters related to aircraft performance.
- Initially the Engineer specializes in one of two areas of expertise within Aircraft Performance: Low-speed Aerodynamics or High-speed Aerodynamics.
- Low-speed Aerodynamics include the following subjects: take-off, approach, landing, terminal area procedure design, weight & balance:
- Perform technical reviews of airport analyses, missed approach procedures and engine-out procedures that make use of ground-based navigation and RNP.
- Develop, maintain, test, and distribute takeoff/landing programs.
- Participate in the development of aircraft weight & balance procedures and reports.
- High-Speed Aerodynamics include the following subjects: climb, cruise, descent, flight planning, emergency procedures, fuel consumption analysis and, more importantly, a strong focus on route analysis.
- Prepare route analyses in support of the Commercial branch's network planning and scheduling activities: block times, cost evaluation and payload predictions based on Monte Carlo models.
- Monitor aircraft fuel consumption to set flight planning fuel flow factors and to identify potential aerodynamic or engine deficiencies. Investigates maintenance or flight crew reports of over-burning engines.
- Develop and maintain driftdown/decompression escape route procedures.
- Develop and maintain flight planning performance data modules to ensure flight planning data is consistent with aircraft performance and company policies and procedures.
- Develop, maintain, and implement city pair cost indices, cost reduction initiatives, and fuel savings procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with a preference for Aerospace or Aeronautical Engineering.
- At least 4 years of experience in airline flight operations engineering or equivalent, or significant experience in Aircraft Performance Engineering, is preferred.
- The person must have demonstrated familiarity with aeronautical engineering principles with particular emphasis in aerodynamics and flight mechanics of multi-engine commercial jet aircraft.
- Knowledge of Instrument Flight Rules, design of engine-out flight path procedures, and flight planning are strong assets.
- A solid understanding of airline business and operation is required to efficiently integrate technical and business aspects.
- Must be highly organized, motivated, and capable of working with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Must possess effective communication skills.
- Must possess strong problem-solving skills.
- Must be willing to provide occasional off-hour support.
Conditions of Employment:
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.