Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
The Technical Support Specialist (TSS) provides technical support, to Maintenance Operations Control and Line Maintenance, by providing additional troubleshooting instructions / guidance for Aircraft on Ground (AOGs), delays and complex defects. TSS also monitors and initiates specific troubleshooting based on recurring defects and reliability trends. The position is also responsible for taking appropriate action on operational issues identified by other service providers and/or departments. (Such as OEM, Safety, Flight Data Analysis (FDA), Flight Operations, etc.)
Key Functions & Accountabilities:
- Conduct technical investigations of recurring chronic defects including obscure problems in rogue aircraft systems and components.
- Initiate Technical Support Requests (TSRs) as required to address recurring defects and deferrals.
- Review and take appropriate follow up action on Technical Requests, Maintenance Advisories, and other Mandatory notifications issued by respective Airframe and/or equipment manufacturers.
- Provide technical support/advice to Maintenance Operations Control, Line Maintenance, and other departments on a daily basis, including “off-duty” hours when required.
- Monitor “AOG” and “Out of Service” aircraft daily and assist as required.
- Review operational delays, Air-Turn-back, Diversions and gate returns proactively to preclude further disruptions.
- Coordinate with respective fleet managers and engineers (and Original Equipment Manufacturer), as required on AOGs and ongoing fleet issues.
- Initiate Maintenance Alerts or other technical communication as required.
- Respond to investigation requests in support of company SMS program or engineering investigations.
- Review associated aircraft and/or system performance using appropriate tools and systems (AHM, FlightLink, ACARS, TRAX, Communicator, FDR/FOQA Data, etc) or related trend and reliability data.
- Attend the Maintenance Review Board Meetings and participate in the ETOPS reliability review
- Assist MOC, other Tech Support Specialists and engineers in troubleshooting or in retrieving / analyzing data (CEOD, FDR, FDA, etc) following any event or incident.
- Liaise with OEM representatives as required for support and follows up on OEM generated alerts.
- Support projects for aircraft entry into service, corporate initiatives, and lease returns
- Host the daily Tech Support Fleet calls.
- Technical post-secondary education and/or external or internal management development considered an asset.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience as an Aircraft Certifying engineer or as a Technical Support Engineer (Powerplant or Airframe), or similar capacity with an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)).
- A valid AME ‘M’ license is an asset. Consideration will be given to candidates with ‘E’ license pending review of overall training and experience.
- An ACA with any Boeing and/or Airbus aircraft (or associated powerplant) endorsement is considered an asset.
- An avionics background is also considered an asset.
- Ability to develop/write clear, concise technical descriptions, instructions/ task cards, work programs, reports and correspondence including updating technical data systems.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others.
- Strong sense of initiative in taking appropriate action and sound judgment.
- Ability to deal effectively with internal/external customers.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- High energy level, self-starter and works well without direct supervision.
- Expected to work a modified work week and occasional extended hours as operationally needed.
- Some travel may be required at short notice to support AOG Airplanes and/or task-oriented training.
Conditions of Employment:
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.