Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
The Artificial Intelligence’s Center of Excellence (AI-CoE) is a central group within Air Canada’s IT organization that builds Machine Learning and Optimization solutions to internal business units including Revenue Management, Network Planning, Operations, Maintenance, and Cargo organizations. As a Senior Manager, AI, you will lead a team of Data Scientists, Operations Research Scientists, and Data Engineers working on building decision optimization solutions backed by science. The ideal candidate will be passionate about developing talented, highly motivated, high performing team and growing leaders.
In this role, you will drive the design, development, and delivery of data driven solutions. The successful candidate will be proactive and able to build trust with business stakeholders, and succeed within collaborative peer environment, working closely with Product Owners, Subject Matter Experts SME(s), Delivery Leads, Solution Architects, Infrastructure, DevOps, Digital, and QA teams.
In this role, you will be reporting to the Director of Artificial Intelligence.
- Managing a team responsible for building decision optimization solutions.
- Fostering career development of the individual team members.
- Hiring talent to grow the internal team.
- Collaborate with external development partners to complement the team required for each project.
- Providing technical leadership and guidance to scientists and engineers.
- Planning projects, estimating efforts, timelines, and team size.
- Develop and manage a long-term vision and portfolio of machine learning/optimization initiatives.
- Drive the strategic decisions that guide the team’s roadmap.
- Proactively understand business units’ needs and propose machine learning and/or optimization solutions to satisfy these needs.
- Lead development of business relationships with other business units to identify and maintain effective operating procedures; evaluate current machine-learning/optimization projects and re-assess the need with the business units involved.
- Develop business relationship with the AC business community leaders to give visibility to the AI Team skills and value-added opportunities.
- Take initiatives to develop best practices and enhance project delivery to business units and look for scope for continuous improvement.
- Maintain a high level of employee engagement within the team.
- Assist in the professional and technical development of team leaders enabling them to set technical goals, monitor, mentor, coach and assist team members to achieve their potential.
- Develop and enhance cooperative interdepartmental and vendor relationships and communications.
- Maintain current knowledge of industry trends and potential impact on the ongoing and future projects.
- Develop AC relationship within the machine learning and operations research communities, universities, and research institutes, for the team to promote growth within the group and the identification of new opportunities applicable to AC.
- Master’s degree in science, engineering, statistics, operations research, or equivalent technical discipline.
- Experience with leading, mentoring, and developing high-performing scientists and/or engineers.
- Experience with building machine learning and/or optimization solutions to solve business problems.
- Experience with managing agile teams to deliver software systems that package machine learning and/or optimization models.
- Experience with partnering with business stakeholders and external consultants to deliver projects.
- Exceptional problem solving and analysis skills combined with the ability to synthesize and effectively communicate findings to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience managing cross-functional teams and projects.
- Experience with python, R, or other related programming language.
- Although there is no requirement for hands-on contribution, the ideal candidate should have an acceptable level of technical hands-on competency, demonstrated by previous practical and applied experience, to earn the team trust.
- Experience with one of the cloud platforms, Azure, AWS, or GCP.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Applying machine learning and/or optimization algorithms in a large-scale production setting.
- Familiarity with the aviation, transportation, or logistics industry is a plus.
Conditions of Employment:
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.