Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
Air Canada seeks technically experienced Specialist in Digital Enablement (Cloud Architecture) to be is responsible for leading the creation of a technology framework and providing technical leadership in support of digital platform initiatives in cloud computing and automation, with a focus on the design of systems and services that run on cloud platforms. This role reports into the Engineering and Architecture organization but would be embedded into the Cloud-DevOps effort to provide architectural leadership and best practices. Additionally, the specialist will be responsible for ensuring that critical applications are designed and optimized for high availability and disaster recovery.
This position reports to the Director, Digital Platform
Key Responsibilities & Activities:
- Demonstrate knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation features (OS, multi-tenancy, virtualization, orchestration, elastic scalability)
- Demonstrate knowledge of DevOps toolchains and processes
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert to the organization for digital architecture end-to-end architecture, including AWS and future providers, networking, provisioning, and management
- Develop a library of deployable and documented cloud design patterns, based on the digital platform application portfolio, as a basis for deploying services to the cloud
- Demonstrate leadership ability to back decisions with research and the “why,” and articulate several options, the pros and cons for each, and a recommendation
- Maintain overall industry knowledge on the latest trends, technology, etc.
- Develop solutions architecture and evaluate architectural alternatives for private, public, and hybrid cloud models, including IaaS, PaaS, and other cloud services
- Contribute to DevOps development activities and complex development tasks
- Define optimal design patterns and solutions for high availability and disaster recovery for applications
- Drive scope definition, requirements analysis, functional and technical design, application build, product configuration, unit testing, and production deployment
- Ensure delivered solutions meet/perform to technical and functional/non-functional requirements
- Provide technical expertise and ownership in the diagnosis and resolution of an issue, including the determination and provision of workaround solution or escalation to service owners
- Ensure delivered solutions are realized in time frame committed; work in conjunction with product owners to size and manage scope and risk
- Provide support and technical governance, expertise related to cloud architectures, deployment, and operations
- Provide thought leadership in the organization and to fellow team members across the business and technical project dimensions solving complex business requirements
- Demonstrate forward-thinking around where the organization is going and how technology can support these efforts
- Advocate and define cloud architecture vision from a strategic perspective, including internal and external platforms, tools, and systems
- Act as the coach and mentor to team members and technical staff on their assigned project tasks
- Develop a cohesive team and ensure their continued success
- Lead the definition and development of cloud reference architecture and management systems
- Conduct product work reviews with team members
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, systems analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience
- 10 + years of experience spanning at least two IT disciplines, including technical architecture, network management, application development, middleware, database management or operations
- Experience as a team lead preferred
- Experience with AWS and Azure implementations
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments
- Knowledge of all components of a technical architecture
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes
- Strong understanding of network architecture and application development methodologies
- Strong understanding of SOA, object-oriented analysis and design, and client/server systems
- Experience working in a research or academic environment preferred
- Demonstrated experience working with Agile Ops/DevOps teams, including KPI development for efficiency tracking.
- Effective and professional oral and written communication skills, interfacing with internal peers, upper management, and customers.
- Ability to understand and affect decisions strategically for the interest of Air Canada first and foremost
Conditions of Employment:
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.